STDs Community
UTI/possible STD and vaginal bleeding

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

UTI/possible STD and vaginal bleeding

Hey,
Recently I had brief unprotected sex with a friend of mine [the condom broke].  Afterwards, I developed a yeast infection which turned into bacterial vaginosis [something very common for me, happens to me a lot after I have sex].  I had sex again, while I still had the infection [stupid decision, I know, but I was starting to feel a lot better after treatment] and I bled very heavily during sex.  My partner assured me that it was nothing, probably just because the sex was very rough, although this has never happened to me before.  I was concerned so I went to my doctor for a urine STD test.  He gave me antibiotics with the test which I took but I basically feel the same so I don't really think it was an STD.  I got a partial result back today.  He said I have a UTI [which is very strange because I've had NO symptoms of a UTI] and the results for chlamydia/gonorrhea haven't come back yet.

So I have 2 questions:

1) Can a UTI cause you to bleed during sex?  Some people, including friends of mine, said this has happened to them.  I know yeast infections can make this happen too.

2) Is it a good sign that the results for a positive UTI came back before the STD results?  Does this mean the test is likely negative or no?

Also, another weird thing, after I had that bleed, my symptoms almost completely subsided.  Is this significant?  

If it helps, I'm also on the pill [Yaz] and have been for about 6 months.  
1) I have never heard of a UTI causing bleeding during sex. Nor a yeast infection.  UTI is an infection of the urethra.

2) You had a urine test.  If there were white cells from a discharge from and std, or some type of vaginal condition, then it would look like a UTI.

It sounds like a good possibility of being chlamydia or gonorrhea.  And yeast infections do not turn in to bacterial vaginosis.  There is a balance of bacteria and yeast in the vagina.  When one outgrows the other, that is when you have the condition.  Yeast does not turn into bacteria.

Now, if you have missed pills, you can have breakthrough bleeding that could resemble an early period.
Hey,
Thanks for your reply.

I've heard of it from several different people who never had STDs of any kind so I think it may be possible, I don't know.  I've also read online that yeast and BV are 2 of the 10 most common reasons for bleeding during/after sex.

So are you saying that the test was a false positive for UTI?

I know yeast infections don't turn into BV, I guess I worded that wrong.  But in my experience, I always get a yeast infection which is quickly followed by BV after treatment.  It's happened to me countless times since I was 15.

I have missed pills this month [I've been really forgetful this month, I know, it's bad but it happens] and taken some late, on multiple occasions.  Do you think this could be the cause of heavy bleeding during sex?  

Also, there was no pain involved.  Could that mean something?
Most likely, the bleeding was because of the missed pills.  Have you ever been tested for trichomonas?  That could cause bleeding during sex and appears as bacterial vaginosis.  But an experienced gynecologist could detect it in a wet mount.  But you should look into it.  If I were you, I would encourage your boyfriend to get tested for everything as well as you.  This way you both know that eachother is std free.  And then you make the choice whether or not to continue to have unprotected sex or not.
Yes, I was tested for it the other day and I'm waiting on the results of that test too.  I took one of those home test kits for vaginal infections and it said my ph was normal so the test for trich was negative.  I have a gyno appointment this Wednesday as well.  I'm just really hoping it's not an STD.  The thing is that my partner is not my boyfriend.  I have two good friends who I sleep with as well on occasion.  We always use condoms but sometimes they break.  They've both told me they're clean but I don't know how recently they got tested so I have a hard time trusting that.  I mean, I got my first STD with my ex boyfriend who swore he was clean and never cheated on me--I only believe what a doctor says in terms of this stuff, you know?
I absolutely hear what you are saying.  But now that I have more insight and reread your original post, it sounds more like break through bleeding.  I am on loestrin.  I have missed a few pills and made them up of course but i'm still spotting as a result.  I missed two in row and bled enough to have to use a tampon.  FYI.  I have chronic cervicitis,  This causes me to have a constant discharge.  When I was tested, i came up positive for UTI, but I really don't think it was.  I went to the gyno who also came up with the same result.  They did a 24 hour culture on my urine that came up negative for UTI.
Wow, that's really weird about the UTI testing.  So what did you have, if you don't mind my asking?  I'm just going to wait and see what my doctor says, I really don't think it's a UTI either, I've had one before and this feels NOTHING like that.  Breakthrough bleeding does seem likely now that I think about it.  This was also the only time this happened and I've had sex more than once during the time that I've had this yeast infection.  Would breakthrough bleeding be that heavy [it was a decent sized pool of blood, not like a ton but a good amount] and only happen once?  A couple days later I did get a bit of brown discharge as well which looked somewhat like dry blood.  Could this have been related?  Sorry for all the questions but you've been very helpful, I really appreciate it!!!
Yep.  That sounds like breakthrough alright.  I was diagnosed by my gyno with chronic cervicitis.  It was most likely a result from a cervical leep I had years ago.  Possibly triggered by the chlamydia infection I had in January.  Still bearing with it I'm afraid.  
Thanks, I hope you're right.  I find out the full results from my doctor tomorrow [fingers crossed].  I'm sorry, I don't know what that is but it sounds like it's not fun at all, at least your experiences have given you insight to help others.  I really appreciate it!