STDs Expert Forum
UTI that might be an STD?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

UTI that might be an STD?

I am an 18 year old female, about 120 lbs. With not previous STDs.

For the last 5 or so months I have been sexualy active with a partner (male, with no previous partners). And for the last couple months I have had what appears to be usual UTI symptoms and have been treated with Amox, which clears up the pain (horrible burning sensation when I pee, a constant urge to use the restroom..etc.) but doesnt prevent all the symptoms from reaccuring just a few days or weeks later. My symptoms clear up, with the help of Amox, within at least 3 of 4 days.The symptoms usually flair up after having sex, but not always.

My question is simple

1. Could this "UTI" really be an STD contracted from my partner?
2. Should we both get tested?
3. Currently I am being treated for a neurological disorder. I am taking 100 mg of Methadone twice a day and other various narcotics...could all this burning and pain be some strange side affect of that medicine or of the cronic (chronic) migraine I am being treated for?

The symptoms of UTI and some STDs--especially chlamydia or gonorrhea, sometimes herpes--can be very similar. However, symptoms are classical for UTI and that's probably what you have.  (By classical symptoms I mean burning on urination, urgent urination with small urine volumes, and sometimes cloudy or faintly bloody urine.  STDs usually cause mostly the urinary burning, but less frequently urgency and small urine volumes.)  And UTIs commonly are triggered by sex, hence the now-outmoded term "honeymoon cystitis".

The problem may be your treatment.  Amoxicillin is not active against many bacteria that commonly cause UTI, and generally not a recommended treatment.  You might be getting only partial suppression of your infection, which hasn't actually been eradicated.  Nowadays providers usually do not due a urine culture to identify the exact cause and to test the organism for antibiotic susceptibility.  But those tests (culture and sensitivity, or "urine C&S") are always recommended when UTIs are persistent or recurrent; it sounds like that's what you need.  Also, if your neurological disorder affects bladder function, that is a huge risk for UTI, often with antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

That said, you could have more than one problem.  Your risk for STD depends on information you don't provide:  how recently either you or your partner have had other partners, for example.  On the other hand, it would be unusual to get either gonorrhea or chlamydia while taking amoxicillin.

Return to your primary care provider and discuss these issues.  Make sure you have a urine C&S, not just urinalysis; and if in doubt about the STD risk issue, ask about testing.  If you think the STD risk is low, you probably should wait until the next flare-up of your symptoms, then see your provider before you take amoxicillin or any other antibiotic.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
I meant to add that your methodone and other drugs are not themselves likely to be causing your symptoms or otherwise contributing to the problem.

HHH, MD
I have same symptoms peein a lot in little amounts and it burns a lot and little blood sometimes but it also burns Wen I'm not peein Wat does that mean and my lower back on sides hurt bad I'm scared bc I have had three sex partners but I get uti's a lot buy is never burned while not urinating I don't think its been awhile since I had one