STDs Expert Forum
UTI's and antebacterial cream

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

UTI's and antebacterial cream
Hi Doc,

I am a 32 year old male and seem to be very prone to UTI's. I am not sure if I am allergic to the condom or what. I have once in the past tested positive for chlamydia, and got treated. In other instances I tested negative. I take a lot of natural products (urikleer, immune boosters etc.) to try and prevent this, but I am still very prone to them.

My question is, would applying antibacterial cream inside the condom or over the penis further help to prevent UTI's/STD's?
Welcome back to the STD forum.  I'll try to help.

In normal usage, UTI means an upper genital tract (bladder etc) -- and is rare in men, although very common in women.  UTIs are not sexually transmitted.  However, some physicians may use the UTI term in patients with nongonococcal urethritis (NGU) or prostatitis.  Initial NGU is usally an STD, but recurrent episodes often are not -- some infections are not cured entirely and keep coming back.  Same for prostatitis (which is not sexually acquired).

So let's start with some clarifications along those lines.  What are your symptoms when you have a "UTI"?  What tests have been done and what were the results?  How have the episodes been treated?  What sort of health care provider have you seen (STD specialist, urologist, GP, etc) and where are you?  Terminology and beliefs about UTI and NGU are different in some countries and health care specialists than others.

Whether you have UTI, NGU, or prostatitis, no antibiotic cream inside a condom is likely to make any difference.  Neither will any "natural products".  But with the additional information, perhaps I will have other useful advice.

Regards--   HHH, MD
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for the response. I have had urine tests and have seen a urologist and a gp. Tests were negative for std's. I am in South Africa. Symptoms are in the penis rather than in the bladder. It is more of an uncomfortable feeling in the penis and generally goes away if I take a few anti-inflammatory tablets. It could be related to the condom, but I am not sure.

Many thanks for the response.
If you have any infection at all, it is in your prostate gland or urethra (nongonococcal urethritis, i.e. NGU).  It is not a UTI.  I doubt you have any active infection, or any STD.