Understanding apparent chancroid diagnosis, cheating?
My husband and I finally had sex after abstaining for about 5months (pregnancy & childbirth) & about two days later I started feeling uncomfortable which continued to worsen with the most excruciating pain while urinating. My midwife examined me, said I had lesions and I was totally raw. She sent me to a lab, had a gram stain and culture done. Gram stain showed
"bacilos pleomorficos gram negativos ++++"
"diplococos gram negativos +++"
"polimorfonucleares ++++"
Culture was completely negative, which I knew was possible because the lab didn't have the right medium for chancroid. I received an injection of ceftriaxone which seems to have given me complete relief.
My question is: based on those lab results, is it certain that I had chancroid? We live in central america. And is it REALLY only spread by sexual contact? What I've read isn't very clear.  My husband swears he didn't cheat on me, but we've come to the conclusion that the only possibility is he cheated while black out drunk. The not knowing and not having a definitive diagnosis is killing me. My midwife thinks it was chancroid and possibly the beginning of a gonorrhea infection. I will have results back tomorrow on a herpes test, and my husband received the same antibiotics as me.
Hi, testing for it requires to be grown in a culture test. It has nothing to do with Gono. The thing is that your husband would have had sores also to pass it to you. Its similar to syphilis as there needs to be an active chancre and the reciever needs an opening in the skin, like a cut, for it to enter. Also having symptoms in days post exposure is really to short of a window for sores to develop.
Based on what youve posted, it would not appear as and std from your husband but do let us know your test results.
Yes so now that I spoke to the lab they agree def not gonorrea but there is still the possibility of it being chancroid. It cannot be confirmed now that Ive taken antibiotics. My husband has had no symptoms. I just don't know what other infection it could be. My herpes results are delayed another day. I'm so confused and I hate the pain we are going through wondering what else it could be.