STDs Expert Forum
Unknown Problem -- Tingling in Scrotum area

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

For 6 months I
"Tingling" of the scrotum, or anywhere in the genital area, without other symptoms, is not a symptom of any STD, including herpes.  If you also had overt blisters or sores that followed the tingling, I would be conerned about herpes, but that seems very unlikely.  Certainly I would not have suspected gonorrhea or chlamydia, but in any case the negative tests rule out those possibilities.  (The tests are close to 100% reliable, not 80%.)  And you have been assured by apparently knowledgeable health care providers that you have no STD.  For all those reasons, I also am quite certain that no STD is (or was) the explanation.

Good luck--  HHH
Honestly, with the assurance of testing I doubt you have an STD.  Sounds more like eczema or a similar condition.  Have you tried applying Cortizone cream to the area?  That may be what it calls for.  Alcohol would most certainly irritate the area, making the condition worse.  I would say visit a refutable derm or try applying Cortizone cream to the area.
Something may be going on, but it isn't an std.  Tingeling isn't a sign of anything sexually transmitted.
Doc, Are you saying that prodrome symptoms only appear in conjunction with a symptomatic outbreak? Another STD specialist has stated that prodrome symptoms (burning, tingling, stinging, etc.) may be a herpes outbreak that does not break the skin surface because of a healthy immune system. Thoughts?
What you say is true, but it doesn't apply to all tingling or similar symptoms.  If someone has localized (always unilateral) tingling or other neuropathic symptoms followed typical recurrent herpes (unilateral, clustered vesicles/pustules/ucers etc) that happens say 3-4 times a year, and also has some periods of similar tingling without lesions, s/he probably is having aborted HSV outbreaks.  (This has nothing to do with the health of the immune system, however.)  But I have never seen a patient whose only symptoms were prodrome without ever having a visible outbreak; and I haven't seen anybody with prodrome symptoms limited to the scrotum.  That doesn't mean it can't happen, but it is quite clear that johnagold69 isn't having HSV prodrome.

HHH, MD