STDs Expert Forum
Unprotected Sex and Unprotected Emotions

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hello Doctor,

Over the past year my wife and I had separated and I acted immaturely and stupid by participating in several encounters of unprotected oral sex.  5 or 6 times receiving and 1 time giving.  In addition, I had unprotected intercourse with one of these women and my mind is wondering.

In some cases they were hookers but in the case of the unprotected intercourse and me giving oral was with a normal woman but nonetheless a one night stand.  Now that I am back with my wife and so happy to be out of this nonsense i need your advice.

what stds have i subjected myself to that will pop up on me now?
What timelines should i be looking for to eliminate my risk factors for receiving oral sex and any std's thereof?  I certainly would feel better if there were an infection clearer pill that i could take to put my mind at ease but appreciate if you could breakdown the risk factors for me.  With receiving so much oral sex - how do i know if I am subject to or have an std?

Lastly in the case of the unprotected vaginal sex (and oral) - when can I feel that I am out of the hunt and be with my wife in a way that I know I am not putting her in harm's way.   Thank yo so much!
Oral sex is low risk in general, and the risk of STD from any single episode of vaginal sex is low, but of course not zero.  But also remember that most STDs of importance cause symptoms.  Asymptomatic infection can occur, but most men with a new STD develop symptoms like urethral discharge, genital sores, etc.  Having had none of those, probably you were not infected.

But to be safe, you could see an STD-knowledgeable provider.  Your local health department STD clinic probably is the best bet for expert, confidential, low cost STD screening tests.  You should have urine tests for gonorrhea and chlamydia and blood tests for HIV and syphilis.  (You could also have a herpes blood test, but it really isn't recommended in this setting.)  Your provider will be able to answer any other questions you may have.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Thanks for the advice.  what did you mean by i could also have a herpes test but isnt recommended in that setting? Is it a blood test or other.
I was at a party this weekend, and after too many drinks, accepted oral sex from someone there.  I put a condom on, and layed back and closed my eyes to enjoy the experience.  A moment later after I climaxed(literally, less than 60 seconds...), I opened my eyes, and the condom had been removed.  I went straight to the bathroom, urinated as hard as I could, and washed my penis with the antibacterial soap there.  I grabbed a soda and drank it while driving home, about 30 minutes, where I again urinated and washed with my own antibacterial soap.  I do not know anything about the person I recieved the oral sex from, but I currently do not have any sores/wounds/scrapes etc. on my penis, and am in good health and disease free, at least until now.  I am normally monogamous, this was a serious breach of my normal behavior.  I know that nothing is 0 risk here, but given all of these facts, how concerned should I legitimately be?  What symptoms should I be looking for, and how long should I look for them before any realistic concern that I may have contracted something is no longer valid.

Thank you.