STDs Expert Forum
Ureaplamsa diagnosis

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Ureaplamsa diagnosis

Hello, I'm a 27 year old female living in the UK and recently had symptoms of a yeast infection.  I was tested and my results came back positive for the yeast infection and I was treated with fluconazole. Symptoms went away after four days. However,the diagnosis came back positive also for ureaplasma (negative for BV and trich) for which the doctor explained to me was an STD and prescribed me for doxy twice daily for 7 days.  

My risky sexual behavior in the past month includes unprotected oral sex, genital touching without protection and intercourse with condom.  I informed my last partner that he should get tested for ureaplasma as well even though he has no symptoms.  

Now having read on this site that ureaplamsa is not an STD, have I overeacted? should I stop taking the doxy? (i am day three into it).

I haven't had a yeast infection in over five years. Is it possible that the ureaplasma contributed to it?

thanks!
Although I dislike disagreeing overtly with patients' own health care providers, your positive test for Ureaplasma is meaningless.  It is a normal bacteria found in the genital tracts of at least 50% of sexually active people, and everybody has it at one time or another.  It is one of the hundreds of bacterial that normally inhabit the genital tract.  Some strains of Ureaplasma can cause nongonococcal urethritis (NGU) in men, but Ureplasma has never been found to be associated with signficant disease in women.  In my STD clinic, we have never once tested a person for Ureaplasma in 30+ years, except when we're doing research on it.

In other words, you should not have been tested for it; and having ureaplasma is not a reason to take doxycycline or any other antibiotic. I'm sure it had nothing to do with your yeast infection.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
And there is no reason for your partner to be tested or treated, if indeed he has no symptoms.
A related discussion, Ureaplasma was started.