Ureaplasma Urealyticum
I am an American living in Korea and have a Korean girlfriend.  A few days ago she told me that she tested positive for Ureaplasma U. and her Korean doctor put her on antibiotics.  I tried to make an appointment with my American doctor to address this and he said that he wouldn't even see me and that I shouldn't worry at all.  

Why would one doctor prescribe antibiotics while the other tell me "don't worry about it?"  Should I seek out a second opinion from a local doctor?

I have a very slight burning sensation on the tip of my penis but am not sure if this is just a result of being paranoid.  I have not noticed any discharge.
Your doctor said "don't worry about it" because there is debate about Ureaplasma U. and if it causes symptoms or is just something that people normally carry.  In the United States, it's mostly ignored.  I other countries, it's usually thought to be a cause of problems.

Personally, I have read a lot of research on this, and I believe that UU should be treated. I'm honestly surprised that we ignore it here, but unfortunately we do.  I think there's been a good amount of unnecessary suffering because of it.

In any event, if you're not treated, you will surely give it back to your girlfriend, and so her treatment will be ineffective.  And yes, I believe the burning sensation you have is due to the UU.

I'd recommend taking clarithromycin for treatment.  Doxycycline resistance in Ureaplasma is unfortunately fairly common.  Some studies say around 40% of strains.  In strains susceptible to doxy, it is very effective.

If you have any other questions about it, feel free to ask me.
I agree with StillHurting.  I have no idea why doctors don't test for UU in the states.  I'm starting to really distrust the american health care system, and feel that everything is motivated by money, even if it means putting people's health in jeopardy.  I can't even find anywhere that test you for UU.  Also, i know azithromycin (zithromax) is effective against UU as well.
You can get tested at any place who can send in a sample to LabCorp for UU testing.

Here's the test info:

Mycoplasma/Ureaplasma, Real-Time PCR
http://www.labcorp.com/datasets/labcorp/html/chapter/mono/vm003300.htm
Number
138778
CPT
87801

Azithromycin does also work (it's a macrolide like clarithromycin), but the concentrations required a typically higher.  The big advantage of clarithromycin for UU is that you can take 1g per day, over several days, thus keeping a very high concentration which is well enough to take care of the infection, and without some of the fluoroquinolone side effects or the common doxycycline resistances.  But yes, if you take azithromycin, it will also probably work.

And Tommy, I couldn't agree with you more.  The majority of the reason why I am here posting is because I had such a hard time with everything, and ended up doing lots of research.  I have a little background as well.  And after everything, I was very disappointed with the quality of treatment that was available.  I have a great deal of respect for you though, you seem to be very knowledgeable and to give out good advice.
Thanks to both of you.  I saw a doc today and he didn't hesitate in prescribing me Azithromycin.  I'll get retested again in two weeks and everything should be good to go.