STDs Expert Forum
Urethra Pain

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Urethra Pain

I had a HJ performed on July 1st,2005 with a condom. The girl I believe put some spermicidal nonoxynol-9 liquid on the top of the condom and or some lubricant , to supposedly avoid any risk of STD.
Started experiencing discomfort in the urethra + burning sensation about 1-2 days later, no discharge of any kind. Went to see a G-Practitioner who suggested a Urine analysis to check for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea on the spot (1PM). Test were negative waited for about a week, symptoms continued (discomfort in the urethra and a burning sensation no discharge at all). Went to see another G-Practitioner then more lab urine analysis(3PM) everything was negative he then referred me to a Urologist. Presented the tests to the Urologist and then I did another Urine analysis (11AM), results were negative. He put me on Ciprofloxacin 2 pills a day 500 mg for about a week took some Cystex (Antibacterial and burning sensation relief) to help. Noticed some improvement. I noticed that the burning sensation went away but came back on one or two instances when alcohol was consumed. The burning sensation on those 2 instances were pretty bad. Went back to the Urologist for a follow up (urine analysis 2PM everything was negative) and he suggested an XRAY and a CAT scan as we thought it may be kidney stones related. Nothing abnormal there after examination.
The discomfort mostly appear after consumption of alcohol or after erection. It sound to me like some irritation on the inside of the Urethra but I cannot be a 100% sure, I
I'm not going to be able to help much.  You clearly do not have an STD, indeed could not have acquired one from the exposure you describe--as you already understand.  I also do not believe you have had any other infection, such as a bacterial urinary tract infection.  Some sort of urethral irritation, likely due to N-9, is the only likely explanation for the initial symptoms.

To my knowledge, there are no research studies on how long damage or pain directly due to N-9 irritation can last.  But more than 4-5 days would be very surprising, and I doubt that explains your continuing symptoms.  Conceivably some sort of immunologic reaction sometimes is set up, causing inflammation even though the inciting agent is long since gone.  Or the initial irritation was so bad it caused a urethral stricture (partial blockage), which might be painful.  Or it's all just anxiety.  I have no way of knowing which if any of these applies to you and can't try to make a specific diagnosis on line.

In any case, it is extremely unlikely that persons in this situation have anything that will ever cause significant harm or disease in a partner.   Sometimes just knowing symptoms aren't a sign of anything serious helps them start to resolved.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
1 Comment
Acupuncture and Oriental medicine (internal herbs) effectively treat urethra pain. Find an AAAOM(American association acupuncture oriental medicine) Certified and Licenced Acupuncturist. IN CHINA ALL ACUPUNCTURIST ARE DOCTORS OF ALLOPATHIC MEDICINE AS WELL AS DOCTORS OF ACUPUNCTURE AND ORIENTAL MEDICINE. In the united states a doctor of allopathic medicine is called an MD, unfortunately allopathic medicine can't always diagnose and treat everything, Oriental medicine is great in that it treats most anything. If a patient goes in a hospital in china for a burning painful urethra:
1)they will initially have all the same urine analysis done  for std's
2) a perscribed medicine to eliminate the pain
3) acupuncture
4) perscribed Herbs
if only the rest of the world were so integrated