STDs Community
Urethral redness , inflammation for over 2 months

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me shed some light on my situation, no health insurance and cannot afford a doctor visit unless absolutely necessary. I am a 28 year old male in good health. I had unprotected sex with new partner. After a week or so I noticed a redness, puffiness around urethral opening, often more pronounced on 1 side, mild burning on urination, sometimes seeming to radiate up the shaf, very red for a short time after masturbation. Assumed it to be irritation. Approx 6 weeks after the encounter got an std test- came back negative for Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Syphilis and HIV. At that time is was given a single 1 gram dose of azithromycin as a precaution. Now, several weeks later I still have the symptoms. I abstained from masturbation for over 2 weeks- no change. I tried Yeast infection creme for almost 2 weeks- again no change. After consulting a pharmacist, I stopped wearing tight underwear, used no cremes, I also stopped masturbating again and switched to a hypoallergenic detergent for my clothes and a new potentially less irritating soap. No change. No major discharge, however sometimes there seems to be some dried around it, the tip a little bit "stuck" to the fabric in tight underwear. If I look down the shaft a little, gently open it, I sometimes see what looks like a bit of a clear, slightly cloudy film.

Could this be trich? Something else? I am not in contact with the girl so I cannot ask her of any symptoms. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance and have a great day!
Additionally, a NP at the clinic examined the tip during the std test, and stated that it did not appear to be warts or herpetic lesions, that information is relevant to. Thanks again,
Youwould have to follow up at the clinic or a Dr. I don't see this as relaly STD related based on symptoms and negative tests. But not sure what it could be.
Thanks for the reply. I agree with you that there is a likely possibility that this is not any type of STD, just a little uncertain how to proceed. Or, rather, how I can afford to proceed. I want to go to a urologist but as a private payer that is cost prohibitive. When the clinic gave me the results the specifically said they only tested for the types I mentioned, so I started digging a little deeper.

I know that some of the irritation has got to be a result of my extra focused attention on it, but at one point during this little ordeal I managed to convince myself it was psychosomatic for a few days, but then it flared up so I was at least certain its not in my head, which was comforting, sort of :)

Good advice about following up with the clinic again, I think that is what I will do first thing Monday morning. Thanks again for the reply.