STDs Community
VDRL reactive - TPHA negative

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

VDRL reactive - TPHA negative

I had medical test for KSA, reports show VDRL reactive (Ttire 1:4) while TPHA negative / non reactive. What des that mean? is it a matter to be worried or needs medication? The concerned Lab advised me to get treatment and come for re.medical after 3 months. Is this such a disease that it needs 3 months to be cured?
Hi there -

With the confirmatory (TPHA) test being negative, and the VDRL giving such a low positive, this leads to the VDRL being a false positive, or an old infection.  

Do you know/remember ever having syphilis before this?  If you have, the antibodies may remain positive for life, but they will be really low like yours are.  

You can opt to get another test to confirm this one, or go ahead and treat.  If this is an old infection (and you know this based on sexual partners testing negative, or not having had any genital sores, mouth stores, or rash, etc) recently, then you will want to treat it once a week for 3 weeks (a doctor has to give you the treatment as it's a shot).  

You go back in a few months because they want to see if your number has dropped (the 1:4 number should drop 4-fold within a few months, meaning it would go to at least 1:1, and it may remain at 1:1 forever.)

If you retest now, and the number has gone up, then it's a newer infection and you definitely want to treat, and notify sexual partners (and this includes oral sex partners as well as those you may have had intercourse with).

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Jess
typically you wouldn't be treated for these lab results.  

have you had syphilis before?

have you been tested for syphilis before?

why did you get tested this time?

grace
Hi There

Thx for your reply. I dont remember ever had syphilis. The reason to go for these tests is that I got an employment opportunity in middle east and as part of Visa requirement I had to go for a thorough medical examination including tests for STD's and during those tests it all revealed.  
if i have gential (genital) herpes would my vdrl by positive or negative