STDs Expert Forum
Vaginal Bleeding After Intercourse

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Vaginal Bleeding After Intercourse

I have very light bleeding after intercourse. I notice it when I go to the restroom afterward.I have no pain or anything associated with this and it clears up right after. What are the possible causes of this? I called my insurance 24-hour nurse line and the computer said I needed to take a home pregnancy test which came up negative. I can not get in to the doctor until 2/14 (after my period) and it is really bothering me. Some ideas of what it might be would really help.
Bloody spotting after sex often is a sign of cervicitis, i.e. infection of the cervix.  Gonorrhea and chlamydia are the main causes.

It could also be due to cervical ectopy, a normal condition (usually) seen in young women (under 20), those who take hormonal contraception, or pregnancy.  In ectopy, the fragile tissues that normally line the cervical canal migrate to the surface of the cervix.  Because those tissues are more fragile, bleeding sometimes occurs after sex.  Ectopy and cervicitis often are related:  cervicitis can cause an area of ectopy to be swollen and even more fragile; and ectopy can predispose to cervicitis.  Because pregnancy can cause ectopy, the idea that you should have a pregnancy test is a good one.

Bottom line:  You need to see a health care provider, preferably one who is knowledgable about STDs.  You certainly need tests for gonorrhea and chlamydia, and perhaps a pregnancy test.  DO NOT WAIT 2 WEEKS:  complications such as pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) could occur at any time.  You do not need to wait until your period has finished.  If your own doctor is not immediately available, go to your local health department's family planning or STD clinic, or to Planned Parenthood.  Also, don't have sex with anyone until this is sorted out.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
I forgot to say that the above response assumes you are a younger woman and potentially at risk for pregnacy, STD, or both.  If you are older, say over 35, then several other possiblities become equally or more likely than infection or pregnancy.  In any case, you still need to see a health care provider.

HHH, MD
Thank you. I will try to get into Urgent Care today since my doctor will not see me. I really appreciate you advice.
Could this possibly be caused by dryness?
Unlikely.  Even if that were a suspicion, you need to get it checked out.  I hope it's something trivial like that, but don't take the chance.
A related discussion, Bleeding after Intercourse was started.
A related discussion, slight bleeding was started.
A related discussion, bleeding after sex was started.
Ok so me and my bf have been dating a lil over a year and I'd say about 6 months ago I notice blood after me and him had intercourse but I never thought any thing of it but now the bleeding is getting worse every time we have sex its more and more blood. I can't get to a doctor and I have not been in over a year! Because I don't have the money or insurance can some one tell me something I need help on this situation please.