STDs Expert Forum
Very Scared don't know if its Herpes or Not!!!

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hopefully someone can give me an explaination for my symptoms. I have been with the same female partner in a relationship since March 2009 and we have had unprotected sex since then. In December 2009 I experienced small tiny pimples on the shaft of my penis, they were spread out and were singular, no clusters, they also were filled with a clear fluid. A day or so later after the pimples developed I experienced some mild sorenes in my groin area. I went and saw my PCP and he said that it wasn't herpes(visually, he didn't do any cultures), he called it folliculitis or possible subeceous cysts and he gave me mupirocin to put on the effected areas. I was still nervous and on my own I paid to have a herpes select test done the results were as follows HSV 1 IGG .17 and HSV 2 IGG .16. So negative for Herpes 1 and 2 per the test. After doing research on the test I figured it would have been enough time (8 months) since I started with this girlfriend to build the antibodies for HSV. Also the pimples never ulcered into open sores, they just simply burst and immediately crusted over, similiar to acne on my skin. Also my girlfriend has never experienced any symptoms what so ever.

Now fast forward to June 2010, the pimples have come back and also with the mild sorenes in the groin area. I have been freakin out, I went back to my PCP and he again mentioned that it wasn't herpes (visually, he never did any cultures). Also my girlfriend hasn't experienced any symptoms, I would like to know if this sounds like herpes or some other condition that resembles herpes, I also have been wondering about the reliability of the Herpes select test that was done in December of 2009? Please Help  
Welcome to our Forum. I'll try to help.  It seems to me that there are two questions in play here- do you have herpes? or not and if not, what might this be.  Certainly the history of recurring penile blisters is suggestive of herpes but other skin conditions can also cause lesions of the sort you describe, including folliculitis.  You did not say how long it took the lesions you describe to go away, either this time or the last time they occurred.  First episodes of HSV typically last several weeks.

So, what to do.  If the lesions are stll present, I still think a culture or PCR test would be helpful in sorting things out.  With all due respect to your own provider, you may wish to get a second opinion, perhaps as your local health department STD clinic or from a dermatologist.  In addition, I would suggest that you and perhaps your girlfriend both repeat the HerpeSelect test. The first time you tested, last December, you may have tested too soon after infection to have developed antibodies.  At this time however, if this is HSV, your test should be positive.  If the test is negative, the process is something other than HSV

Bottom line, you need more information.  A culture/PCR test may help if lesions are still present and a repeat HerpeSelect at this time may be helpful as well.

Hope these comments are helpful.  Let me know what you have more data and I can comment further.  EWH
Thanks for the response, in response to some of your questions, after the first outbreak the lesions went away after about 1 1/2 weeks. The second current outbreak the lesions have started to crust over (but no ulcers) in 6 days and the mild groin soreness has subsided. Also as I mentioned I have seen my PCP again and I insisted that I get another herpes select test done, I should be getting the results any day now. I figured since I had been with the same partner for 8 months before symptoms that it would have been enough time to develop antibodies to show up on the test. And is it possible to have symptoms with a first breakout and not have a positive herpes select test?
You did exactly the right thing to request another HerpeSelect test.  It is not uncommon for the HerpeSelect to be negative at the time of an initial outbreak.  When you get your test result, please let us know and I will comment further.

I would still also suggest that your partner get a test as well.  EWH