STDs Expert Forum
Very concerned, Herpes,HIV HLTV.....

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Very concerned, Herpes,HIV HLTV.....

Hi Doctors,
I am looking for some advice on where to go with some strange and frustrating symptoms and bizzare behaviour from my body since a risky encounter.
One stupid night in Thailand about 7 weeks ago whilst drunk I did the worst and most stupid thing I could imagine.
I received unprotected oral from a Thai sexworker and had very short 1-2min or so of protected vaginal intercourse before I stoped and realized what I was doing and left. 3 days after the exposure I started with night sweats, about a week after I developed painfull and swollen groin glands had sore testicles and two red patches about 1cm on the inside of my thighs. Geographic tongue was next. I was going nuts thinking I had contracted HIV. I took a blood test at four weeks,Syphilis Hepatitis C, Chlymidia, Gonnorehea and HIV were negative.  However around week (5weeks post exposure) i started waking aqain with night sweats and numb hands and feet.Also I have had bad headaches, pain behind the eyes and very itcy anus. The Numb tingling is making me paranoid about HIV to a degree still. I have slight pain in my groin and neck glands and have noticed a light brown spot just below the penis head which I never noticed before. I have just tonight noticed three or four pimple like sores on my lower abdomen upper thigh, they are not painful but do seem quite hard. They're spread out about 5cm apart and they dont really look like blister. I have always had cold sores in my nose since I was I child so HSV1 is certain. I am very worried about having contracted HSV2 and passing it on to my partner.
My dodctor is reluctant to test for herpes and is confident based on the first time I saw him. He has not seen the new pimple like sores. Is it possible to have an initial outbreak without sores and then an outbreak at 8 weeks? Im becomming very anxious and need some guidance. Can you recommend anything else I should test for and would herpes cause the neurology issues?
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for your question.

However, I'm afraid I can't help much.  The symptoms you describe are very nonspecific -- meaning that any number of medical conditions could cause them; or they may be nothing at all.  On the other hand, unlike the symptoms, all the tests you had are highly reliable.  For that reason, lab tests always take precedence over nonspecific symptoms like yours.  In other words, I am very confident your symptoms are not caused by HIV, herpes, or any of the other infections for which you have been tested. You're going to have to work with your doctor about other explanations.  There is nothing in your story, however, that makes me worried about herpes or HIV, and certainly not about HTLV.  Based on the nature of the symptoms and timing, I am quite certain they are not due to any infection acquired during the sexual exposure you are concerned about.

As I have repeatedly advised Australians who ask questions on this or the HIV Prevention and Safe Sex Forum, your country's sexual health centres are, collectively, the world's very best network of STD/HIV clinical and prevention clinics.  I strongly encourage you to visit your nearest SHC and put yourself in their hands.  You may as well take advantage of the world class services available.  (If you happen to be in or near Sydney or Melbourne, you have access to the best of the best SHCs.  If you visit either one, give my regards to the staff, many of whom I know quite well.  But all the other SHCs also are very good, so don't hesitate!)

I'll be interested in hearing how it all shakes out, if you would like to post a follow-up comment after you have been evaluated at an SHC, or if and when any specific diagnosis becomes clear.  In the meantime, however, I won't have any other comments or advice.

Best regards--  HHH, MD
Thanks Doctor,

I was not tested for Herpes but will request a test tomorrow.
I will continue to work with my GP on this until resolved. If not I will travel to the Melbourne SHC and try there.
I will update you if and when I get to the bottom of this.
Cheers
That's fine. However, I am confident your symptoms are not due to herpes and not sure HSV testing is necessary.  If positive for either HSV-1 or HSV-2, I would conclude you have an asymptomatic HSV infection plus other explanation(s) for the symptoms.
Hi Doctor,

Based on your adsvise I have an appointment next week at a SHC.
I have in the mean time 1 more question relating to HIV type E.
In Thailand it is beleived that it does not need direct dontct to the blood stream. I am very concerned about this. The link is attached to this could you please take the time to read and forward your opinion on the E type.
This will be my last question unti after my results from the SHC.
thanks.
http://www.thailandguru.com/hiv-aids-thailand.html
I'm glad to hear you're line up with  your local SHC.  It's the right thing to do.

HIV type E is spread like all other types.  You shouldn't be concerned.

That should wind up this thread.  I won't have any more comments or advice.  You'll be in good hands with the SHC.
Hi Doctor H
Just to let you know at ten weeks I have tested negative for HIV gon chlamidia syph Hep A B C and HSV2 positive for HSV1. Based on your advice ill take these lab results as conclusive and move on at last. Mostly just want to thank both yourself and Dr Terri for your time and if anyone in Australia is reading this and has concerns with their sexual health, please follow Dr H's advice and take advantage of the SHC available in most of our major cities. They are fantastic and completely free. They are also very understanding and non judgmental. Thanks again Dr. Signing off for ever! Cheers
Thanks for the kind words -- and for the SHC advice for your countrymen.  Take care.