WTF?
Dear Doc,

I have been reading your posts for months now and I have to say they are very informative / encouraging, but I still need to present my situation to you for an opinion.....

I had unprotected oral sex for about five minutes from a random 37 year old woman. I also grazed the outside of her vagina for less than a second, 2 different times (never penetrating).

I freaked out and went for a full STD check-up 9 days after the experience. Me herpes igM came back positive at 1.23 while my herpeselect igG type specific tests came back negative in the .50-.60 range. This sent me into a state of anxiety and depression for about a week.

It has been 12 weeks now and I have had no signs on my penis nor cold sores on the outside of my mouth. I do however have some weird sores that just appeared on the way back of my tongue. There is not much pain with them, but I have never had sores like this.

Could this be herpes? I want to think that I do not have herpes based on the igG tests, but the igM test is still really scary. Should I go get the igG tests just to be sure??

Thanks!
This isn't the doctor's forum - you have to pay to post there, but I will try and help.

Testing 9 days after is useless, and the IgM is just as useless.  It takes at least a few weeks to test positive on the IgG, if not longer (can take up to 4 months), and the IgM is not close to a reliable test.  If you've read the doctor's forum, I'm sure you've seen posts on this.

If you are concerned about herpes, then test with the IgG at 4 months, but the chances of you getting herpes from a few min of oral sex are slim.  The sores on the back of your tongue sound like apthous sores.

Aj