Aa
A
A
Close
WTF?
Dear Doc,

I have been reading your posts for months now and I have to say they are very informative / encouraging, but I still need to present my situation to you for an opinion.....

I had unprotected oral sex for about five minutes from a random 37 year old woman. I also grazed the outside of her vagina for less than a second, 2 different times (never penetrating).

I freaked out and went for a full STD check-up 9 days after the experience. Me herpes igM came back positive at 1.23 while my herpeselect igG type specific tests came back negative in the .50-.60 range. This sent me into a state of anxiety and depression for about a week.

It has been 12 weeks now and I have had no signs on my penis nor cold sores on the outside of my mouth. I do however have some weird sores that just appeared on the way back of my tongue. There is not much pain with them, but I have never had sores like this.

Could this be herpes? I want to think that I do not have herpes based on the igG tests, but the igM test is still really scary. Should I go get the igG tests just to be sure??

Thanks!
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
207091 tn?1337713093
This isn't the doctor's forum - you have to pay to post there, but I will try and help.

Testing 9 days after is useless, and the IgM is just as useless.  It takes at least a few weeks to test positive on the IgG, if not longer (can take up to 4 months), and the IgM is not close to a reliable test.  If you've read the doctor's forum, I'm sure you've seen posts on this.

If you are concerned about herpes, then test with the IgG at 4 months, but the chances of you getting herpes from a few min of oral sex are slim.  The sores on the back of your tongue sound like apthous sores.

Aj
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
STDs Community Resources