STDs Expert Forum
Wanting to be sure of test accuracy

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Wanting to be sure of test accuracy

Hello doctor,

On 1/1 I received unprotected oral sex from a CSW and engaged in protected sex. There was also some brief, unprotected frottage that caused me to freak out a little a few days after the encounter, when I overestimated the risk (thanks to this forum, I feel more educated about the risks). I began compulsively inspecting my penis, and noticed no discharge, lesions, or anything out of the ordinary. I began to frequently urinate and have diarrhea, and strange tingling sensations on my penis head. I noticed absolutely no discharge, and checked in the mornings as well.

I read on the forum that these symptoms were classic of genitally focused anxiety, but I got tested 13 days after exposure and had a full panel done. All results came back negative. I had unprotected vaginal and oral sex (her performing it on me) with my wife 18 days after exposure.

My concern is that I'm not sure if I had urinated within 2 hours of my urinalysis for gonorrhea and chlamydia. I started to worry again and get more pelvic pain and diarrhea. I got a urine re-test for gonorrhea and chlamydia 35 days after exposure - both came back negative.

I still have no symptoms. Three days ago (28 days from the point where she performed oral sex on me), my wife developed a sore throat. She works around lots of people every day, and also has allergies, but I'm still very concerned. My questions are specific:

1) If I had urinated 30 mins to an hour prior to my initial test, would it have affected the results to a statistically significant degree?
2) If I had asymptomatic gonorrhea, what are the chances that I passed it on to my wife, and it then cleared up on its own prior to my second test?

My wife has no visible vaginal symptoms and hasn't made any mention of vaginal discomfort. I realize this seems neurotic, but I appreciate the assurances.
Welcome to the Forum.  You can be quite comfortable that you are not infected.  The time recommendations for testing are quite conservative and the 30 minute interval between urination and testing is sufficient for your test to be positive if you were infected. Your negative tests provide strong evidence that you are not.  You wife's sore throat is coincidental and not related to an STD that you have given her.  

See above.  Your test would still be reliable.

This is a most unlikely scenario and not worth worrying about. Further, when persons get gonorrhea of the throat, it is typically asymptomatic.  As I said above, your wife's sore throat is more likely coincidental than anything else.

I hope my comments are helpful.  EWH