STDs Expert Forum
Was it possible? HSV-2

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Was it possible? HSV-2

I feel fortunate to have found this site for I may be able to obtain a straight forward answer.  I recently tried getting back in a relationship with an exgirlfriend I had not been with for over 5 months.  To make a long story short she told me she was not ready to have sex again and instead performed oral sex on me.  I came to find out she had contracted HSV-2 while we were apart.  I was shocked but willing to accept it.  The next day after she had performed oral sex on me I noticed a tingling feeling in the tip of my penis, this was probably only 10 hours after the occurance.  I began to get a little nervous.  Well this feeling has persisted for 2 weeks now.  I have not noticed any blisters, ulcers, or any severe symptoms related to herpes but I have notice light penile discharge and what feels like a swollen groin every now and then.  Also I have kind of an area of redness on the underside shaft of my penis.  It does not hurt when I urinate, but the tip of my penis still feels funny and has a slight burn feel to it, again nothing painful.  The inside of my urethra looks red some days and fine others.  I am pretty certain she does not have HSV-1 nor did it seem she had any kind of sore present when she performed oral sex.  Also, she was not currently having an outbreak at the time.  I am just wondering if I am overreacting or if I should take the time to go get tested.  I did get checked out 5 days after at a local clinic, my urethra was swabbed and I explained to the doctor my situation, she just prescribed me doxycycline for ten days.  Well its been ten days and I still feel the same.  More so I just want to know was is possible to contract HSV-2 by recieving oral sex?  Is it transmissible through saliva?  Cause this is all that happened between us.  It just seems odd I would start feeling this way right after our sexual encounter.  Please help.  Thank you.
Your symptoms are not typical for herpes and almost certainly are not due to HSV or any other STD.  They are typical for anxiety magnifying normal body sensations, especially since doxycycline made no difference.  Also, as you apparently already realize, there is no STD in the world that can cause symptoms 10 hours after exposure;  herpes and every other STD require at least a couple of days.  (Gonorrhea sometimes can cause early symptoms as quickly as 24 hours, but that's the only one that can come on so fast.)  (No, you don't have gonorrhea.)  HSV-2 cannot be acquired by fellatio, except for the very unlikely possibility your partner has oral (as well as genital) HSV-2 infection.

It seems you are more stressed over the possiblity of catching herpes.  At some level, clearly you are not "willing to accept it".  In any case, I suggest just sitting tight, and going on with life in the 100% confidence you have no infection.  Or follow up with your health care provider if the symptoms persist and you remain concerned.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
I think this goes with this thread.  If not, please accept
my apology in advance.

If a woman masturbated while performing fellatio getting
vaginal fluid on her hand and made contact with the genital
area or the penis with that hand, would there be a risk of infection?
Hand-to-genital STD transmission has been addressed on the forum many times.  Theoretically yes, but too rare to worry about.  See my second response to JustAWorriedGuy in the thread immediately above this one.  If you want to carry on a dialog on the topic (without me), please do it on that thread, not this one.

HHH, MD