STDs Community
Weeping Sore on Penis

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Weeping Sore on Penis

A couple weeks ago I developed some sort of sore on the top of my penis right before the head. Sometimes it is moist and secrets a clear fluid. The wound is long and covers almost half of my penis on both sides. However it's not very wide. It keeps trying to heal by scabbing over, however when I walk (which I do a lot of, it is required in my job) the skin tears and it's unable to heal.

I have been to the doctors and they said they had no idea what it was. They took swabs for testing but have yet to get back to me. This was 2 weeks ago.

From my own research, I keep getting pointed towards herpes. However, I only have one sex partner who I have not slept with in a month and she does not show any signs of herpes/infections on her vagina. I have recently gone away for the summer to a military base and am wondering if this could be caused by bed bugs as I also have a bunch of bumps on my legs.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I didn't know where else to go for "weeping penile sores".

Thank you.
this doesn't sound like herpes going on.

continue to follow up on this with your providers.  could be many things considering I"m sure you've been down in the dirt and sweating non-stop this summer.

grace
Glad someone else doesn't think it's herpes. I hope the doctors get back to me soon, they can be pretty busy as they're the only doctors on the military base. I would bug them for some answers but it's hard to find the time during my training...

Thanks for the response.
I've recently been looking into a similar issue and it seems the entire web is out to make me believe anything that can be wrong with the genitals is due to herpes. However, after almost 3 weeks of searching daily I have found some info on other possible causes of lesions and sores, such as candidas balanitis (a type of yeast infection), Zoon balanitis, and some others I've forgotten now, but that I found from researching the two I've just mentioned.

Despite what most STD scare websites seem to suggest, as long as your sores are not "vesicular" in nature (blister or pouch-like) then it is unlikely to be herpes.

Its a shame it took me so long to find information on my issue (which I hope helps solve yours too) all because there is so much misinformation regarding genital health issues and STDs. As informed as everyone should be about STDs, I think all these websites informing us somewhat incorrectly about STDs and ignoring non-STDs is doing more harm than good!
I had similar red sores to the top of my penis head. This may well have been after sweaty exercise and the not washing the penis head from sugars, my own bacteria and sweat. I was knackered at the time and did not draw the foreskin back and wash thoroughly as I normally do. I have read about the causes and treated the symptom; which has now cleared.
The symptoms are similar to yeast infection (sugars / thrush) reported from women.
I used skin cream - MONISTAT 7.
There are similar yeast (virginal) creams for the same result.

Paul
England
Have an STDs question?
100,000+ doctor answers