I was tracking Insight Vid's posts, as I found his situation curious. I would be interested to see how a Western Blot and Elisa stack up. There was a question there yesterday about some WB taking longer than others for reasons unknown. The site said something to the effect of 20% or blood takes an additional week or so. I would also like to know why that is?
Personally I have never been tested for any STD's but have always practiced safe sex. This site has taught me alot. I plan to use some information to teach my teenage sons more about safe sex. Is there any advice you would offer to young people in particular? I suppose condom use would be number one...
Welcome to the forum. But you're going to have to provide some more information. I am unaware of what other thread(s) you are referring to and do not find a MedHelp username "Insight Vid" or "Vid". Also, the moderators are not expected to have read other threads before responding to new questions. Please summarize exactly what you don't understand about WB and ELISA testing. Also confirm that you are asking about HSV testing, not HIV -- in which case you'll need to re-post a question on the HIV Prevention forum, not this one (as clearly stated in the statement at the top of this forum).
OK, thanks for the update. When a thread is deleted and username can't be found, it usually means that the user has violated MedHelp's rules in an important way, such as one person found to have 2 or more usernames; or excessive anxiety-driven posts.
Western blot tests are read visually, i.e. the technician interprets dark "bands" on a white paper or plastic strip; the bands mark antibody to specific multiple HSV antigens. To diagnose HSV-1 and 2, the technician looks for bands of antibody to HSV glycoprotein G-1 (gG-1) and gG-2, respectively. About 80% of the time, a quick inspection is sufficient to be certain about presence or absence of gG-1 and gG-2 bands. The other 20% there is uncertainty, because a faint band may (or may not) be present, or there are nonspecific or atypical bands that may be difficult to interpret. Such specimens may then be inspected by a senior/supervising technologist, or may be subjected to higher-tech analysis in an optical density reader.
In such situations, the final report usually is definitive -- although a certain proportion of WB tests are difficult or impossible to interpret in a definitive way. In that case, the UW lab usually is prepared to accept a second specimen and test it at no additional cost. Even so, some result remain uncertain.
Thank you for the Reply Dr. Handsfield. I have one more question if I may. I have read information on HSV PCR spinal fluid testing. This seems extreme to me. In any case, what is the accuracy of such a painful process? What percentage of PCR spinal tests give false negatives/false positives? Wouldn't HSV only be present in spinal fluid when someone is 'shedding'?
HSV sometimes causes meningitis (usually HSV-2) or encephalitis (brain tissue infection, usually HSV-1). In patients with symptoms of such problems, cerebrospinal fluid is tested for HSV by PCR.
This question is irrelevant to diagnosing genital herpes. However, it suggests you are delving far too deepling into the internet for information that will most likely confuse you (as this information did) or upset you. I suggest you sit back, await your test results, and otherwise stop worrying and stop searching for more information.
Please do not post anything else on this forum or thread until your test results are available.
Copyright 1994-2017MedHelp International.All rights reserved. MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.