STDs Community
What are the chances of contracting an STD through unprotected oral sex...

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

What are the chances of contracting an STD through unprotected oral sex?

Greetings,

Here's the scenario:

I've been in a monogamous relationship with my wife for 10 years but 9 days ago had a moment of weakness and received unprotected oral sex from a sex worker. Before receiving fellatio, we had protected vaginal sex for about 5 minutes. I immediately regretted my decision and made an appointment with my doctor. I was tested 5 days after exposure for syphilis, gonorrhea, and chlamydia, all of which came back negative. My doctor said that my risk of contracting HIV was extremely low and that it was my call as to whether to have that test done in a few months. I plan on doing that, as well as being tested for Herpes just to ease my mind. The sex worker did not have any sores on her mouth or vagina, but did have something that looked like psoriasis on her knees and lower back. She stated that she is always cautious (whatever that means).

My questions are as follows:

1) Should I go back and get tested for syphilis, gonorrhea, and chlamydia again in a few weeks or is that unnecessary given that I already tested negative?

2)  Given that we did have brief protected vaginal sex (and, by the way, the condom was completely intact), is it possible for me to have contracted HIV?

3) Since the sex worker did not have any noticeable sores, what is the likelihood of me contracting Herpes?

4) Since I've already been tested, would it still be unwise to have unprotected sex with my wife? (I know bounds of moral judgments are going to come out here. But just know that my wife had told me that if I wanted to "sew my wild oats" then go do so but be careful and don't talk about it. I'm done doing that and ready to be completely monogamous again.)

Thanks!

You were at ZERO risk for chlamydia and HIV from this, and low risk for the rest of the STDs.

1) It is completely unnecessary.  Waste of time and money.  Send me money instead.  ;)
2) NO
3) Low risk
4) It would be unwise to NOT have sex with your wife.  I'd listen to my wife and  "don't talk about it".  No need to worry.  Move on, but please please please do don't it again.
Thanks for the response. I'm not sure if it's psychosomatic, but I've been feeling a stinging pain in my penis and desiring to pee a bit more than usual. However, once again, I could be hyperfocusing. How detectable would symptoms be? I suppose I won't get tested again because I do not want to fall prey to chronic testing.
Also, what are the chances I could have contracted NGU? I did not get tested for that.
low risk for NGU, if you stinging pain doesn't start to go away in just over a week then, see a phsycian for that.   I'd expect it go go away.
I'll keep monitoring it. It's a definite discomfort. I'm sure there are numerous explanations for it that don't include NGU. Would it be possible that I could have gotten a urinary tract infection? I remember hearing that saliva (or the flora of a new partner) can get in the urethra and cause infection. Does anybody know anything about this? I have noticed in the past that when I have sex after a cessation period I sometimes get a similar discomfort. I wonder if this could be the case. Any thoughts?
what is normal bacteria in someone's mouth isn't always so normal in the urogenital tractand can cause ngu.

you tested too early for syphilis - you need to wait at least 6 weeks post encounter for that.

since there is another partner involved, I think you owe it to her to also get herpes , hiv,  and hepatitis testing done too at the 3 month post encounter mark.

go and be seen tuesday and get another exam. You should be giving an urine sample there too. they might also want to include a prostate exam too.

grace
I plan on doing a full STD test in 3 months. I will also go to the doctor this week and have him check things out. According to numerous threads I've read on Med Help, the chances for HIV and Herpes are extremely low, as is syphilis. However, I'll be sure to be tested multiple times in the future to rule out all possibilities. The symptoms I'm experiencing now (e.g., genital discomfort, frequent urination, and some stinging in the bladder region, seem to be more indicative of a UTI or NGU than anything else...but we shall see.