What is tested for in a urine culture?

I'm in, what I believe to be, a monogamous relationship with my partner (we're both male), and I developed symptoms including painful (feels like burning) urination and somewhat more frequent urination about three weeks ago.  I went to the clinic and had a urine culture done which came back negative this week...and the symptoms have since disappeared.  Should I still go in for a chlamydia/gonorrhea test?  Do urine cultures performed on men test for these STDs?

Thanks.
Urine can be tested for chlamydia and gonorrhea, but your doc would have to order those tests.  You might call and ask if those tests were run.

Since the symptoms have disappeared, I wouldn't worry too much about it, but if it makes you feel better to test, then go for it.

Aj
I don't agree with auntiejessi...i would still go get tested for chlamydia and gonorrhea regardless if the symptoms have disappeared...although gonorrhea usually has persistent symptoms, you can carry chlamydia without symptoms.  If you're worried about having acquired an STD, get urine amplification testing.  

Also did your doc do a urine-analysis or a urine culture?  If he did in fact do a urine culture, it might pick up gonorrhea, but it most likely would not pick up chlamydia.  A urine-analysis wouldn't pick up either of these.
Tommy -

If someone has chlamydia symptoms, they do not just disappear.  Yes, chlamydia can be asymptomatic, but if you have symptoms, they won't just stop.

I also advised him to call his doc and find out exactly what tests were run.

AJ
I did have a urine culture done, but they didn't look for std's...I went in for a std test today even though I don't have symptoms...results back in a week I guess.
Good luck. :)
A routine urine culture would not pick up gonorrhea since N. gonorrheae requires special nutrients to grow. The doctor would need to make a note to look for gonorrhea specifically so that the proper culture plate is used.
hi\, I was infected with gonorreah (a puss kind of thing from the tip of penis) and got treated and I was fine for a month but with little lymph node pain and a slight pain or burning sensation at the tip but not continuous, ince in 2 days or so it appeared. but now puss kind of thing is coming again from my penis after finishing the treatment before a month and half this time not from the tip but when I squeeze it from the base. I met the doctor again and he said this is because the inflammation is still there and that is causing. but I asked him for again the urine analysis, sensitivity and culture, and I went for it. results are yet to come. but even for the first time I had this test from urine as well as blood at different places, it has shown negative
is it that the bacteria didnt go off still from my body? or it is something else?
Hi I'm 20 year old girl with a partner of 6 months... I had a urinery culture test and swabs done at the doctors, I thought she was going to test for STI's in the urine test however I am not 100% sure. The results of the urine test were negative with no presence of bacteria. Is it still possible to have an sti? Any replys would be helpful thanks!