STDs Community
What is the risk of catching a sti from oral sex

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

On Saturday night, I had protected sex but unprotected oral sex with a married man.  I am a 25 year old female, and now am worried about the sort of sti's you can catch from oral sex. I have a boyfriend who I have been with for 7 years and have not cheated on before. I never used to worry about sti's and giving unprotected oral sex when I was single so now am just thinking maybe its the guilt taking over. I would just love some advice as looking on the internet just seems to scare me even more.  And surely I am not the only girl in the world to give unprotected oral sex, and not every girl who does it goes running to the sti clinic ? Is there any way you could tell me what the risk is of catching a sti ?
Protected sex is just that and I would not be concerned. Unprotected oral runs a small risk for gonorrhea, herpes and syphilis. All are rather uncommon and low risk. Overall I would not be concerned. And I think it is probably some guilt that you are dealing with.

I also encourage you not to look online because you will find mis information and a lot of things that seem to scare people more then anything.
Thanks for getting back to me. Really apprechiate it. Can I just ask you a small risk as in is unlikely to happen but still get tested, or a small risk as in unlikely to happen and wasting your time to get tested as will just be told what you have said now ???

The Dr's in the expert forum on this site see no medical reason for testing from an exposure like you have had. Testing is really up to you, but overall I see nothing to worry about or test for.

Syphilis is uncommon in developed countries, uncommon in straight men and most likely you would have seen the canker. Herpes unless he had a current outbreak (lots of sores/bumps) is not a huge concern. Gonorrhea is the most common but over 90% of men would show symptoms. So the chance he had gonorrhea without symptoms is very low and then the chance of you getting it is even lower.
ok great :O)
what are the symptons of gonorrhea in men ?? Just so i know

thanks youve made me feel so much better, wish i had come on here first thing this morning rather than getting all depressed.
Discharge. So basically the guy would have had like a green thick stuff coming out of his penis. No something that is going to be missed.

Sometimes it's tough to find sources like this. Often you find sources that will say Yes you have a risk and leave it at that. But forums like this give interaction.

I am not in the medical field, but have taken great time to learn. I have learned from someone who is a nurse, from someone who used to work in the STD clinic and from the Dr's on this site. While other sites you will find anyone who thinks they know something answering questions. While you can find it on this site also, we try to do our best to refute any wrong answers. I have been a Co-Community for over 2 years and was nominated to this position by someone who used to work in a STD clinic, so bascially she knows that my answers are right. Just a little background on myself.
Def would not have missed that! If it was coming out green. lol.
Great stuff, thanks very much. I feel like I can get on with my life now :O)
Thank you for your quick replys.