What is this? Not herpes?
About two or three weeks ago, a red rash appeared on my penis. I didn't think too much about it, because it didn't have any pain or itching, and I had just become sexually active (with my girlfriend) for the first time. I passed it off as friction/irritation because it is was only on the outside edges of the base of my shaft. I didn't stop masturbating and having sex.

Fastfoward a few days, The rash became very dry and began to crack. It also looked very raised.

Fastfoward about a week, two small (1cm) red circles appeared halfway up my shaft. I get worried and make an appointment with my healthcare provider, who said it did not look like herpes at all, stating it looked more fungal. I was prescribed a cream called Naftin and instructed to use once a day.

Fastfoward another five days, I've been using the cream, and it hasn't made much progress. It now includes a series of red dots on my pubic area just above my penis. The rash on the left side base of my shaft is now hardened and painful, with one singular yellow blister in the center. At first glance, I assumed that because it was dry and blistering that it was healing. But now I'm worried again.

The only possible contact I've had with any STD is that my girlfriend had a herpes outbreak on her lips a few weeks back. But we avoided all contact during this time and I took many precautions. Other than that, my girlfriend has no STDs that she is aware of, and let's rule out the possibility of cheating.

I've had both my healthcare provider and platoon medic (I'm Army) look at it, and both state that they don't think it's herpetic. Nevertheless, I'm making another appointment to go tomorrow. In the meantime, does anyone have any ideas as to what it might be? I'm pretty much scared ********.
this does indeed sound more like a fungal infection than anything else.  it can take awhile until the antifungals do the trick. sometimes you also have to switch to a different one if things aren't getting better within a week of use.

did you and your gf get full std testing that included herpes igg blood testing prior to starting to have sex together? typically herpes is not a part of routine std testing and it's something to look into.  make sure you both cover all other std's too to be sexually responsible.

grace
After taking a second look at it tonight, and re-reading my post, I realized I forgot to mention that the infection is sort of scabbing over... but it's still cracked. It almost looks like a scab that you itch a lot. And it has only been five days since I started the Naftin. the only part that worries me is that there was no pain until I started the naftin, now it's hurts to the touch/rub. Not really a burning as much as a stinging.

And how come this infection hasn't transferred anywhere else on my body or to my partner?

I'm going to request a full STD blood test when I go tomorrow.

Mike
usually jock itch stays in the genital area - it likes the soft , tender skin there as well as the heat and moisture.