STDs Community
What to do after unprotected sex?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

What to do after unprotected sex?

First, thank you so much for this site and the help you give.

Secondly, against all my upbringing, teaching, and common sense, I had unprotected sex with a woman (KM) I barely knew.   It started in the hot tub with a little kissing, then tongue, then her rubbing herself on me, to penetration.  As the water made it difficult to penetrate, we moved to a table near the tub.  I don't think I was inside her anymore than 2 minutes before ejaculating outside of her vagina.  (Certain it was less then 5 minutes).  I have also discovered:
A) It was reported that some homosexual men having sex in the tub the day before us.
B) It may be likely that many people have had sex in the hot tub.
C) KM may have had sex with some men who are bi-sexual.
D) KM claims to be clean.  (This was 2 days before we had sex)
E) Don't know when was the last time KM had sex, could have been that day or a month ago.  Knowing what I know now, I expect no more than a day or two.

I have never done anything like this before. Was faithfully married for 17 yrs before my left me for another man.  Was clean and faithful for almost two years after that until this.  This is the first (and last time) anything like this has ever happened.

1) What is my best course of action at this point?  I understand there are certain time periods required for different tests.  What can I do in the meantime to prevent/limit/reduce the possibilities of ANY std's?

2) What kind/type of doctor do I need to see?

Thank you for your time, I look forward to any advice you are willing to give.
KJ
trich is about the only std you can get from hot tub water.  no worry about any other std's and the hot tub water.  there are potentially other non-std related bacteria in hot tub water too which can cause issues.

so what do you do?  You can get tested for chlamydia and gonorrhea anytime after 1 week post encounter. you have to wait at least 6 weeks for syphilis testing and 3 months for herpes and hiv testing. should you develop any symptoms between those times of course be seen for a proper exam.

grace
Thank you so much for the quick response.  Are the any antibiotics or such I can start on early to prevent or reduce the risk of trich and any other std's?

What type of doctor do I need to see for these tests?

What are the chances I've been infected with an std?  

In your opinion, what is the probability of HIV here?

Sorry for the extra questions, very new and concerned about all of this.
Thank you for your patience,
KJ
no you don't want to start any antibiotics needlessly. It can potentially cause false negatives on some of your future testing as well as in this day and age, taking antibiotics needlessly is not in anyone's best interest.

your regular provider can order up your testing for you.

a one time encounter if low risk in general for everything.