STDs Community
When does the pain stop when urinating?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

When does the pain stop when urinating?

I had unprotected sex (vaginal) 3 weeks ago with an old friend. About 10 days after the incident I started to get a burning sensation at the tip of my penis, and when urinating the pain was from the tip as the urine passed through. I also had i guess what would be described as discharge (mine looks like just a tiny drop of clear urine on the head of the penis as if i have not wiped myself after urinating - I'm circumcised as well. Not sure if this is what is meant by discharge). The following day I paid for a chlamydia & gonorrhea test and was prescribed a single dose of azithromycin. A day later my results came back and I was negative.

After 5 days passed I still had the burning sensation at the tip of my penis and pain when urinating. So I went back to the private clinic and they said as my results were negative I probably had non specific urethritis, so the Dr gave me a 1 week course of doxcycycline (2 tablets per day). The following day I wanted more advice so I went to a walk-in NHS sex clinic. They gave me tests including the painful scrape from inside the penis but all tests came back negative and said for me to stick with the course of doxycycline and if problems persist to return.

I want to know what can I do to stop the pain when urinating. I'm on day 4 of the doxycycline and the pain has not eased up. It's been 8 days now and I have to say this is turning into a panic situtation as the pain at the tip of the penis when urinating is the equivalant of like a razor passing through.

I'm taking ibuprofen, stopped drinking caffine and acidic drinks. Lastly I'm diabetic and also on statins and not sure if that impacts on the antibiotics or not. Told Drs about type1 diabetes but forgot about statins (only recently started taking them). However I have stopped the Statins temporarily.

Any advice on how long urine pain should last would be helpful - the clinics did not give me a straight forward answer  when asking.
Well most of the time the medication does take time to work. I would continue with it and if no improvements by the end follow up with your Dr or the NHS clinic.