STDS
COMMUNITY
Why does my penis head hurt when touched and burn when I urinate?
by WhyAmIBurning, Oct 11, 2008
Dear H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. (or any other who may be able to answer):

I have posted the threads from a 2006 discussion.  Do you know the END RESULT of this person?  I have the exact same symptoms. I was given the same medicines; however, I am not getting better.  Furthermore, looking down my urethra with a flashlight, it appears to be some sort of lesion or ulcer on the inside lining of my urethra.  The lesion or ulcer is tiny but it is white or greyish in the middle with a red circle around it.  The Clinic took a swab of the fluids at the tip of my penis.  The swab was too big to be push that far into my penis.  Waiting for results.  However, when I urinate I go through excruciating pain.  And, when my penis head touches my pants or is squeezed it hurts, although not as much as when I urinate.  

Can you shed more light?  What was the end result for the other person?

Herpes or other possible STD's with these symptoms???
by cboarder

Leave a Note
Send Message
Add as Friend

cboarder
Member since Apr 2006  

, Apr 13, 2006 12:00AM
Tags: chlamydia, gonorrhea, oral, penis, test
Doctor HHH, thanks for you wonderful feedback and information.  I have been reading this site for several days and find it very helpful.  

My Situation is as follows:

I am a heterosexual male and about 12 days I received unprotected oral sex from a female who I do not know the sexual history of during a very intoxicated night.  On day 6 I started to have some discomfort when urinating and it turned into a very strong burning sensation when urinating by the end of the day.  I had a doctor run a urine dip on me and there was blood in my urine with a higher white blood cell count than normal.  She did give me the drug Tequin suspecting a possible UTI.  The burning has been decreasing each day, but there is still some discomfort.  Also, the tip of my penis is more sensitive and tender than normal since the burning urniation started.  If I squeeze the tip I get a paining sensation.  On Day 9, she also gave me a 1gm shot of rocephin and on Day 10 I got a perscription for Doxycycline in case of Chlamydia.  Now I have been noticing a tightness in my legs going from my buttox down to the calves.  Also I have some pain in my back, all of which seem to be from tight muscles, but I'm not sure.  I do not have any rashes, sores, itching, or blisters on my penis or anywhere else.  Nor do I have any pain in my groin, scrotum, or testicles.  My doctor did look at my penis and he said both the outside and inside of my urethra look 100% healthy.

My Questions:

1.  Could this discomfort in my muscles be related to herpes HSV-1 and is there any possibility that I could have herpes inside my urethra causing the burning when urinating?  If I had herpes in the genital area and no blisters or sores appeared within 21 days, would you suspect myself to be clear of contracting HSV-1 genitally?  Do you suspect anything else in this instance?

cboarder

H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D.  
Male
Seattle - WA
Member since Sep 2004  

Clearly you had sexually acquired urethritis, i.e. gonorrhea, chlamydia, nonchlamydia nongonococcal urethritis (NGU), or perhaps herpes.  Since you don't mention it, I gather your doc didn't test you for STDs.  S/He should have done that.  But if not, you'll probably never know for sure.  If you know how to contact your partner that night, you should tell her about your problem and encourage her to get examined and treated.

The relative severity of the pain you describe is more suggestive of gonorrhea or herpes than NGU or chlamydia.  Tequin and the other antibiotics would take care of all these except herpes, so the improvement makes herpes less likely.  But these are only probabilities, not proof one way or the other.  So to answer your specific questions:

1) Yes, your symptoms could be due to herpes (not necessarily HSV-1, could be HSV-2).  But no way to be sure, at least not yet; see above.

4) Given the absense of herpes lesions, on balance it is unlikely you have herpes; urethritis alone is an unusual presentation.  Most likely, therefore, it is safe now to have unprotected sex with your new partner.  But for more certain protection, wait until your herpes test after 12 weeks.

[WITH REGARD TO THIS ONE, THERE ARE NO LESIONS ON THE OUTSIDE.  BUT, COULD THE LESION I BELIEVE I SEE ON THE INSIDE BE HERPES.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Was this answer helpful to you?Yes No

Member Comments (5)

by cboarder

Leave a Note
Send Message
Add as Friend

cboarder
Member since Apr 2006  

, Apr 13, 2006 12:00AM
To: H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D.

Add as Friend

H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D.  
Male
Seattle - WA
Member since Sep 2004  

I did want to clarify that my incident was only oral sex (I received and did not perform on her) so should I be concerned about HSV-2?  I thought HSV-2 was only passed through intercourse and not oral sex from reading your past threads?  Did I misunderstand something?

herpes?  Lastly, if I do have genital herpes, would the sores be any deeper than just inside my urethra?

by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D.

Add as Friend

H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D.  
Male
Seattle - WA
Member since Sep 2004  

, Apr 14, 2006 12:00AM
To: cboarder

Leave a Note
Send Message
Add as Friend

cboarder
Member since Apr 2006  

Sorry, I missed the fact that your exposure was oral.  * * *  and herpes very low risk.  You're right, HSV-2 is not an issue, and HSV-1 probably not either.  As I said above, "Given the absense of herpes lesions, on balance it is unlikely you have herpes; urethritis alone is an unusual presentation."  Also, internal herpes lesions typically are excrutiating--some men describe it as the worst pain they have ever experienced.  And more diffuse discomfort ("muscle aching" etc) is not a symptom of herpes or any other STD.

[WITH REGARD TO THIS ONE, IS IT EXCRUCIATING ALL THE TIME OR JUST WHEN THEY URINATE?]
HHH, MD
Reported Report this Spam
Abuse
Was this comment helpful to you?Yes No

by cboarder

cboarder
Member since Apr 2006  

, Apr 17, 2006 12:00AM
To: H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D.

Add as Friend

H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D.  
Male
Seattle - WA
Member since Sep 2004  

2.  Day 14, the pain while urinating has gone away

All of this being said, do you suspect that it was genital herpes causing the burning based on the fact that all other STD's have been ruled out.  I know that typcially herpes comes in clusters, could a single bump be an exception to the rule and does that make you believe I have HSV-1 Genitally?  Are there any other possibilities besides STD's causing these symptoms?

Thanks for all of your help,

CBoarder

Reported Report this Spam
Abuse
Was this comment helpful to you?Yes No

by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D.

Add as Friend

H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D.  
Male
Seattle - WA
Member since Sep 2004  

, Apr 18, 2006 12:00AM
To: cboarder

Leave a Note
Send Message
Add as Friend

cboarder
Member since Apr 2006  

Your sore throat probably is just a cold.  I can't really say anything about the penile lesion.  Herpes can cause single lesions as well as clusters, so it may be a possibility.  What did the doctor who examined you say about it?  His or her opinion is more valid than mine can be with just a verbal description.

HHH, MD

This discussion is related to Herpes or other possible STD's with these symptoms???.
Member Comments (18)
by auntiejessiBlank, Oct 11, 2008
Dr. HHH doesn't read these forums, and if the poster never gave an update, there's no way any of us would know.

Have you had a herpes test?  Any kind of testing at all?  What meds did you take?
by WhyAmIBurning, Oct 11, 2008
Yes, I have had a urinalysis that came back clean.  The Clinic doctor drew blood for HSV antibodies and a swab right at my urethra opening.  The swab was too huge to push in but I was told that if there were any antibodies the fluids there would be enough.  I have to wait 9 more days for the results.  

I was given Azithromycin, Metronidazole, a Rocephin shot, Docycline, and Ofloxacin so far.  None of these have stopped this pain and burning.  Thus, I am thinking that it is viral and likely herpes.  What I don't understand is why nothing on the outside and why so far inside my urethra and not on the ends.  

There was also a swab for Chlamydia, etceteras and blood drawn for HIV, Syphyllis, HSV.  

I am waiting for the results but I am left with unbearable pain.  If there a medicine I could ask for that would numb the inside of my penis while I wait.  600mg of iBUPROFEN is not working.
by WhyAmIBurning, Oct 11, 2008
As I move about and my penis head is touched or squeezed just from movement, it feels as if something is inside of my penis head and it is very sensitive to touch.

Do you have any possible idea what could be happening?  Would shedding from someone's lips or tongue or mouth do this to me?
by WhyAmIBurning, Oct 11, 2008
Also, I am concerned that if it is herpes I may spread the herpes if someone performs oral sex on me or if I have unprotected sex.

Should I be concerned?
by auntiejessiBlank, Oct 12, 2008
If this was herpes, the symptoms wouldn't be lasting this long.  

Has your doctor done a prostate exam?

How long has this been happening?

Aj
by WhyAmIBurning, Oct 12, 2008
Good day Aj,

The burning and pain when touched began on August 6th and continues. Prior to the 6th it was just pain in my tubes leading to my testicles.  The rocephin shot seemed to clear that up.  Because there have been so many medicines, you may believe that each was given a 10 day course/run.  However, the Some of these were given together such as the Azithromycin and the Metranidazole. Both nonresponsive.  The rocephin was most recently given.  The docycline, I am still taking but it is not doing anything.

Yes, the prostate exam and psa (I believe that is the name) all came back fine.  

The burning when urinating and the hurting when touched began on the 6th of October.  

The pain does not seem to be subsiding with the passing day.

I cannot understand why this happened to me only on the inside of my penis and not the outside too.

Thanks for your time and assistance.  I do appreciate it.  

Is there any medicine to alleviate the pain when urinating?
by auntiejessiBlank, Oct 12, 2008
Did you do all this testing while on doxy?  That's unfortunate, because it might give you a false negative test on something.  Did they know you were on meds?  When do you get your results back?

If this was herpes, it wouldn't be lasting nearly this long.  

If you want something for the pain, you need to talk to your doctor.  There are over the counter products, but I am hesitant to recommend anything since we don't know what is causing this pain.  

Aj
by WhyAmIBurning, Oct 12, 2008
Yes, I was on the Doxcycline when they did the urinalysis, took the two smears (one for chlamydia and gonorrhea, and the other for herpes) and drew the blood.  Would the doxcycline also affect the swab test for Herpes Virus?  I understood that from the swab the lab would actually try to grow cultures to determine if Herpes antibodies were present.

From what it sounds like now, I may have to wait this out until another episode to be certain.  Is that what you are thinking?

I really want to be certain about this because I do not want to infect anyone else.  I would feel horrible, unlike many others who knowingly go about spreading diseases.  I must find out what's happening to me.

Have you ever heard of such a case - herpes infection/outbreak only on the inside of the urethra and not on the outside?  Do you have any site or picture I can see or view with a photo of how herpes would look on the inside of a man's urethra.  Shouldn't there be constant burning and not just when I urinate or the head is squeezed?  Can you please answer this one?

Also, when I see the doctor's, why do they always ask if I had recently had sex with a foreigner?  What is the deal with foreign women?  Are there sexual diseases that foreigners have that Americans do not?
by auntiejessiBlank, Oct 12, 2008
LOL I have no idea why they are asking about foreign women.

Herpes antibodies won't show up on a culture, but the virus itself would.  I just don't think this is herpes - its gone on too long, and its not constantly there.

Doxy won't affect a herpes test, either the culture or the blood test, but it could affect a gonorrhea, chlamydia or NGU test.

Google herpetic urethritis and see if you can find some pics of herpes in the urethra.  Be careful though - they are graphic, and are almost always worst case scenarios.

Aj