STDs Community
Why is it important not to have sex up to 7 days after a treatment for ...

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Why is it important not to have sex up to 7 days after a treatment for gonorrhea?

Why is it important not to have sex up to 7 days after a treatment for gonorrhea? And what other ways of reinfection during a treatment are possible? (apart from having sex)?

Thank you.
because you are still infectious that long and can transmit  the virus to others as well as risk getting reinfected yourself if your regular partner is also infected and not properly treated yet.

it never, ever killed anyone going a full week without sex and it's a very important thing to avoid to reduce infection of gonorrhea which is becoming more and more drug resistant.

grace
That was what I was thinking as well. My doctor told me not to have sex until my results from my 2nd test come out to confirm I am not infected anymore. But my boyfriend's doctor told him that he can have sex anytime just to use a condom! I do not agree with that, he should not have sex like me- 4 weeks!
so your bf was treated too?

just wait a week and then you can resume sex.

did you two also cover all other std testing bases, including herpes testing to make sure nothing else is going on?
Yes, I did tell to my doctor that I want other tests as well, but I think she took a sample only for HIV and syphilis. Not sure about the herpes, but I'll ask her when I go for my next visit. And my bf is not in the same country, we have a LDR, so I suppose they treat people differently in France and keep saying they can have sex while infected, which is just ridiculous. Anyway, I told him to go and have all other tests, including a test again for these infections, to prove he's ok.