STDs Community
Will Augmentin or Bactrim cure gonorrhea or chlamydia

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

I had protected oral sex but think i may have caught something and gave to my wife.  Like an idiot, i go our to console a friend whose getting divorced and end up risking my own marriage in the mean time....

Anyway...we go to the dr. together due to symptoms...being sick...
She has sinus infection + UTI....so the Dr. prescribes Bactrim to clear up both (i thought that was a good thing at the time, but have seen conflicting reports)

I have upper respitory infection and mention possible bladder infection.  He says that men having UTI is extremely rare so gives me augmentin.

...so I can take myself to the clinic and get the azithromycin, but:

should i take the augmentin for relief in the mean time?  any chance the augmentin (AMOX TR-K 875-125) will clear the std? (twice a day for 10 days)

is there any hope the bactrim (twice a day for 10 days) will clear up hers?
You did not have a risk for a STD from protected oral sex. I am not going to suggest you take any medication not prescribed by a Dr to treat a non-existant infection.

Avatar n tn
Vance2335: thanks for the response....there was an issue with the condom staying on because we were drinking a lot and i had trouble maintaining an erection....which makes me feel like it wasn't as protected as I thought.
Avatar n tn
and we both have several of the symptoms...i have frequent urination, discharge (not Puss like)...just constantly wet....tickling feeling is constantly there....i think an infection may have spread to my anus as it itches and burn when i wipe...

protected oral sex isn't a risk. the odds of contracting anything from oral sex are pretty low anyways even if the condom was more off than on.

You need to go and be seen again and have some proper testing done.  Just throwing antibiotics at it and hoping something works isn't the best way to go about these things. did they do any urine testing on you when you were seen?

grace
Avatar n tn
grace: thanks for the response....

i plan on going to get tested on Monday...there is a local clinic that day.

we do have confirmed upper respiratoy infections so the antibiotics should help for that.  i agree that i need to get tested and shouldn't just throw antibiotics at the problem if i am now sure.

in that case:

my question is: if......i/we are infected....will these antibiotics work?
Avatar n tn
vance2335: sorry for bugging you....i just realized that i responded to you twice earlier but didn't address you directly....
the azithromycin will take care of chlamydia but that's it.

grace
Avatar n tn
London08...u mind checking on this one...the reason i had this question is from a post you commented on.
that poster hasn't posted on medhelp since 2008.