STDs Community
Will the Azithromycin work?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Will the Azithromycin work?

I am beginning to get nervous. I got a phone call about a week and a half ago and my gyno told me that I had a positive Chlamydia test. This was an absolute shock for me as I had ZERO symptoms whatsoever. I took the prescribed Azithromycin (2 pills at the same time, equaling 1 gram). Since I had no symptoms to begin with, I have no idea if it is working or not. I am getting retested on Tuesday, but I am nervous. Will my Chlamydia for sure go away? What are the chances that it will still be here? I guess I am just getting paranoid, but I want to get this whole ordeal OVER with!
most people who have std's, have no obvious symptoms. that is why routine std testing for the whole shebang is so important!!  did you also get tested for everything else including herpes or was this just the limited std testing that comes with some pap tests?

thankfully chlamydia is easily cured with the one dose of azithromycin :)  we don't recommend automatic retesting at this point for it either.

always have protected oral sex and genital/anal sex with partners until you are sure of their std status. most folks don't get full std testing and most don't get it at the proper times so it's well worth using proper precautions until you are absolutely sure of someone's monogamy and also their status :)

have you had your gardasil shot series for hpv too?

grace
I didn't get the full screening of STDs, it was just a routine pap that they also test for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea. I am getting the full tests done on Tuesday just to be safe. I have had all of my Gardasil shots for HPV.

This is just such an awful situation. I've been with the same guy for 5 years, and then was sexually assaulted. Go figure, I was assaulted by someone who carried Chlamydia.
you should follow up with the proper testing at the proper times since you were assaulted. did you go to a rape crisis center too?

you can test for gonorrhea, chlamydia and trich should've been covered with your pap if it tested for some std's.  was it done at least a week post encounter? you can get tested for syphilis after 6 weeks. herpes, hiv and hepatitis after 3 months.