STDs Expert Forum
Work Exposure Worry
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Work Exposure Worry

I work in the OR and am worried about a possible exposure.  During a case, the scrub tech passed off some packaging to me at a semi-hectic moment and I grabbed it from her without gloves on.  I noticed some blood on the packaging but didnt notice any on my hands after disposing of it.  I washed my hands shortly after when I realized I had grabbed an item with some blood on it.  I have been really worried about a possible exposure to HBV, HCV, HIV and wondered if there was a risk of transmission if there was a small amount of blood on my hands.  I did not see any noticeable cuts on my hands either.  There were no precautions mentioned before the surgery.  I have only had my first of three hep b vaccines given in February which is why I am so worried about hep b in particular. This fear has also caused me to become overly concerned with environmental exposure to Hep b in the or since I read it can live for so long outside the body and objects that are often touched with gloves that may have blood on them are easy to come into contact with during and after a surgery before the room is fully cleaned (i.e. headlight cables, bovie cord, etc.).  Am i overreacting here or do I have a legitimate concern?  Im so stressed over this!  Thanks for you help.