STDs Expert Forum
Worried: Fever and Sore Throat 3 weeks after exposure

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Doctor,
I'm a 36 yr old married man with kids.
3.5 weeks back I got oral sex from a gay man.
That was the stupidest thing I ever did.
The man sucked me and also fingered my anus.
I also took his penis in my mouth and stopped after taking in and out for 3 times.
Today I started experiencing fever and sore throat.
As the time this occured is too short for testing for HIV, I'm dying out of fear. I initially feared about other STDs like Herpes. But now after the onset of fever and sore throat I'm mortified about HIV.
1) I'm having painful urination for the past 2 weeks. I was worried about Herpes. But now Herpes does not frighten me.
2) As I'm having fever and sore throat, are these symptoms of a possible HIV infection?
3) I know that you recommend against PCR by DNA test, but I signed up for the test.
4) If I go for the HIV antibody test after 4 weeks, how reliable will the test be. I know that you recommend 6 weeks.
Please advise me what I should be doing
I understand your concern.  Statistically, the risk you acquired HIV from that exposure is very low.  Three weeks is pretty late for onset of primary HIV symptoms.  But in any case, I really can't recommend anything helpful except to await the test results, which probably will be ngative.

1) If I correctly recall, in the previous thread you said you had seen a health care provider about the painful urination.  In the absence of discharge from the penis or external genital lesions (blisters, red bumps, open sores), herpes or another STD is unlikely.  Initial HSV infections can cause fever and sore throat, but like HIV, 3 weeks is too late for onset.

2) As I have said many times, symptoms are a lousy indicator:  Most primary HIV infections are entirely asymptomatic, and most symptoms associated with HIV are much more commonly caused by other things.  That applies to you.  Yes, the symptoms are among those seen with primary HIV infection; but the vast majority of people with such symptoms have other causes, such as a garden-variety respiratory virus.

3,4) I do not always recommend against PCR testing.  I just think people should be aware of the pros and cons.  Since you're already almost 4 weeks after your exposure, the standard antibody test is all you really need.  If you have HIV, there is about a 90% chance the antibody test will be positive; that is, a negative result will be just as reliable and reassuring as a negative PCR test.  You could still have a final test at 6 weeks to confirm the negative result.

I can't tell you what to do; just the facts above, as I understand them.  You should rely on the advice of the health care provider you select to do the HIV testing.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Doctor,
Thank You. The past 3.5 weeks have been the longest in my life. I regret and rue about the mistake I committed. I almost threw my life away. I have an appointment with a STD specialist on Monday. Till yesterday I was worried about Herpes, but with fever and sore throat the Herpes fear evaporated. Now my only hope in life is to not to have got HIV.
Doctor, Sorry to bother you again.
When I woke up today morning, I noticed lot of white material (is it called Trush (thrush)) in my mouth. I'm really scared. Is it another symptom alongwith fever and sore throat?
I have my appointment on monday. But given the rate of anxiety, I'm doubtful if I can last till Monday. I'm getting thoughts of ending my life.
You are SO overreacting to this.  I see your anxiety, but the doc said your exposure was very low risk.  Go back and reread everything he said, and things he said in other posts.  The only thing to do is calm down, and wait for the test, which will most overwhelmingly likely be negative.

The doctor has said over and over and over again, that SYMPTOMS ARE VERY POOR INDICATOR OF HIV.  The white coating could be lots of things, the LEAST LIKELY OF WHICH IS HIV.  Geez.  If we were all to go about looking for abnormal things in our bodies, we would likely find them.  You are in a panic, and magnifying minor problems into a major one that you don't even have.

If you are having suicidal thoughts over this, you need to seek help immediately from a mental health professional.
Susan,
My worry is genuine. First I got fever and sore throat. Then fatigue. Then white trush (thrush) on the tongue and white plaque on the gums. This set off a panic in me. Till the other day I was worried abot Herpes. Now Herpes is not at all a problem. I want to escape HIV. I hope to remain HIV free and a happy person. Friends please pray for a helpless man.
More than anything I'm worried about this white trush (thrush) and the white plaque on gums.
Can anyone throw more light on this
"Thrush and white plaque" doesn't change my response and advice above:  the lab test results will be much more reliable indicators for or against HIV infection than any symptoms.  Thrush means yeast infection, which you cannot know you have without a professional exam; white-coated tongue is not thrush and usually not due to yeast.  I don't know what to make of "white plaque on gums".

HHH, MD
Doctor,
Thanks for the prompt response.
Doctor,
My list of worries is increasing within the same day.
I started feeling nausea.
I'm really concerned.
Totally I have the following symptoms:
1.Fever
2. Musle Aches.
3. Sore Throat
4. White tongue
5. Nausea
6. Fatigue

All these are causing me lot of anxiety and stress. The testing is a long drawn process. I'm on the edge here. Please help me.
Sorry, but I am not responsible to resolve your anxiety.  But it seems sufficiently severe that you should ask your primary health care provider whether you need to see a mental health professional.  I suggest it out of compassion, not criticism.

HHH, MD
I had many of those symptoms - white tongue, achy legs, swollen glands, massive anxiety, it went on for 4 weeks, but it was not HIV. When you browse the internet (which anyone visiting a forum like this is probably doing) for medical conditions you'll see that they continually say that white spots in the mouth are a strong indicator of hiv. Then you become more anxious and convince yourself its hiv. I did anyway. But when I spoke to the experts at the clinic they said that oral candidiasis DOES NOT just mean hiv. In my case it didn't - no hiv. The doc here is very expereienced and has said in many forums that any symptoms (including white spots in on the tongue) do not equal hiv. Anxiety exasperates pre-existing conditions and inbalances within the body, I've been there - hang in there.
Rich,
Thanks for the kind words.
I am a desparate man who wants to dodge the bullet.
What concerned me was the fever, sore throat, white tongue and nausea.
I am under lot of stress and anxiety these days.
First I was worried about herpes. Now about HIV.
I have not been sleeping for more than 4 hours since the last 3.5 weeks. Sometimes only 2 hours.
Can somebody get fever and sore throat from stress and anxiety.
Doctor & other Friends,
I have come to the following conclusions based on my experience:
1) Oral sex is not at all low risk.
2) One episode of oral sex (insertive) + 5 seconds receptive can give you HIV as in my case.
3) I have contracted the HIV. Otherwise why am I getting all the symptoms of ARS. Some of them like white tongue I never got in my whole life. By now I got fever, sore throat, white tongue, loss of taste, pain in the groin (maybe a lypmh node), fatigue, dry mouth.
4) I have got HIV unless some other desease has the same symptoms.
5) I am resigned to living a life with HIV.
I too resigned myself to hiv, I've still got the oral and penile thrush but the test at 95 days is negative so I have to move on. Somehow, you've got to get through it and all we can do is state the facts. You'll have to test to be sure. Take care.
Don't be ridiculous.  Your assumptions are totally wrong, and contrary to current medical knowledge as Dr. HHH, a world renowned specialist in the field, has said repeatedly.  

There seems to be nothing that anyone can say to reassure you. You need help, psychiatric help for your overwhelming anxiety.  As Dr. HHH says, out of compassion rather than criticism.

You don't have HIV.  There is a first time for any medical health issue, including "white throat".  The LEAST LIKELY THING WOULD BE HIV causing this.  More likely some run of the mill throat problem. Go to your doctor.  Show him/her your list of symptoms and see what he/she says.  

Test at the appropriate time to ease your mind.  Why would you choose to doom yourself now, rather than wait to get a test?  It's like someone saying "I have a lump in my breast, I'll just have a mastectomy b/c I'm worried that it is cancer".  Totally ridiculous.  

I hope you get the help you need.
My fever and sore throat resolved in 2 days.
Now I have the white throat, dry mouth and tastelessness.
As the doctor only a test result can help me.
Friends wish me luck for the tests and the future.
Thanks for the help.
Doctor,
I took the 4 week HIV quickscan test today.
It turned out to be negative.
Does it have any use.
But my symptoms white tongue, dry throat, etc are still continuing.
I saw a specialist today. specimens were taken for all the STD tests.
Is 4 weeks too short for the HIV test?
A related discussion, chlamydia was started.
A related discussion, HIV was started.
A related discussion, ARS symptoms occur simultaneously? was started.
Im very young and I'm sexually active with my boyfriend and hes the only person I've had sex with, he was a virgin when we first had sex but then broke up and he had sex with a different girl, she also was a virgin, me and my boyfriend had sex a week ago and I'm beginning to notice small bumps around my vagina not nowhere inside or just around like my inner thighs, and I also had a sore throat and had headaches, is there a possilbilty I have herpes? can we make herpes ourselves or does the other person have to have it?
Im very young and I'm sexually active with my boyfriend and hes the only person I've had sex with, he was a virgin when we first had sex but then broke up and he had sex with a different girl, she also was a virgin, we got back together then had sex..but me and my boyfriend had sex a week ago and I'm beginning to notice small bumps around my vagina not nowhere inside or just around like my inner thighs, and I also had a sore throat and had headaches, is there a possilbilty I have herpes? can we make herpes ourselves or does the other person have to have it?
A related discussion, AM I Infected was started.
A related discussion, I fear if I have HIV was started.
A related discussion, regarding hiv was started.