STDs Expert Forum
Worried about HV
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Worried about HV

Hello;
I have a question regarding HIV status, ARS symptoms, and time of testing.
I recently (2 weeks and 2 days ago) had an encounter with a sex worker in a foreign country (Costa Rica) During this encounter I noticed after sometime that the condom had broken. I immediately pulled out and washed myself.
She was also scared and worried and stated she was negative, and had a negative test 6 months before.
Upon my return back home I had some burning with urination and I am almost certain a greyish discharge from my penis once (about 4-5 days after my return). This looked very similar to chlamydial discharge and I started a regimen of Azithromycin and Levaquin thereafter to cover susceptible Gonorrhea.
Now my concern is regarding HIV.
Based on your experience; what are the chances of contracting HIV based on this event?
Is the chlamydia and gonorrhea transmission rate so much higher than HIV that I may have been infected with those and not HIV?
I will certainly be tested for HIV at the 12 week mark, but would like to know your response.
A few days after my return I have had some post-nasal drip and some relatively mild associated sore throat.
I dont have any lymphadenopathy or developed any fever (I have checked my temp almost daily twice a day)
Is this concerning for ARS?
Any advice or comments will be greatly appreciated.
Tags: worried
300980_tn?1194933000
Welcome to our Forum.  Unfortunately, you have posted on the wrong site.   Questions about HIV belong on the HIV Prevention site.  I will do my best to answer your questions with this reply but, if you have additional questions or follow-up they must be on the HIV Prevention site.  Sorry.

The exposure you describe was rather low risk as explained below. The fact that your partner was worried is a good sign since if she did not have anything to lose she would not have worried.  Further, even if she had HIV (which is statistically unlikely), transmission of infection only occurs once for every 1000-2000 exposures, on average.  Thus the odds are very much in your favor.

With this as background, let's address your specific questions:

Based on your experience; what are the chances of contracting HIV based on this event?

See above- low.

Is the chlamydia and gonorrhea transmission rate so much higher than HIV that I may have been infected with those and not HIV?

Yes.  The transmission rate of gonorrhea from an infected woman to an un-infected man is about 20% per exposure.  In contrast, the transmission rate for gonorrhea is between 0.1 and 0.05% per exposure.  Very different.

I will certainly be tested for HIV at the 12 week mark, but would like to know your response.

You do not need to wait for 12 weeks. Current HIV antibody tests reliably diagnose gonorrhea 8 weeks after exposure and if you can find a place that offers them (not everywhere does) the so-called 4th generation- combined HIV p24 antigen/HIV antibody tests provide definitive results at 4 weeks after exposure.  

A few days after my return I have had some post-nasal drip and some relatively mild associated sore throat.  I don’t have any lymphadenopathy or developed any fever (I have checked my temp almost daily twice a day)
Is this concerning for ARS?

No, it sounds like you have a cold.  While only about half of people who acquire HIV develop the ARS, when it occurs, persons have a combination of high fever, sore throat, muscle and joint aches and skin rash, not just a sore throat.

I hope these comments are helpful. Testing for HIV when results will be meaningful is a good idea although, as you can see from my comments above, you are unlikely to have gotten infected.  EWH
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
239123_tn?1267651214
H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D.Blank
University of Washington
Seattle, WA
300980_tn?1194933000
Edward W Hook, MDBlank
University of Alabama at Birmingham
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank