STDs Expert Forum
against the odds?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

against the odds?

Hi Doctor.  about 10 days ago I had unprotected oral and protected vaginal from a stripper in Wash DC.  I had a bit to drink and from what i can remember (which I'm assuming is everything) the condom did not rupture or break and was on. However, the way I'm feeling I'm beginning to wonder.  I noticed clear discharge two days later proximate in time to a bowel movement.  2.5 days later I went and got tested at a STD clinic in Toronto giving them a urine test.  5 days later I went to a walk in doctor, told him and he immediately prescribed me a Z pack (1g) and 800 mg cefixime.  I am still awaiting results.  the morning of day 5, alot of clear discharge in the morning during bowel movement.  next day the same.  things seemed ok, then this morning (day 9-10), a lot of clear and milky discharge, again, noticing it when on the toilet.  Don't think I see any at any other times.  It is just alot. Noticably.more than I'm used to. one other confounding factor is that it's that time of year for mysix month-two week cleanse. The pills are 'cleaning my system' so to speak.  My questions: 1. does this sound like chlamydia?  the discharge is not yellow or green and I would like to think the pills would have eradicated it if it was.  2.  if i took the pills on Monday, would symptoms persist on Friday? 3. is white discharge more telling than clear as far as an STD is concerned?  4.  how much discharge is too much? 5. would increased need to defecate have anything to do with this -- ie more pressure? I would have thought the discharge would have stopped by now given how much I've been 'going'.

thanks in advance.

WD
Welcome to the Forum. As I read your history two possible causes of your discharge occur to me.  In addition, I have another comment which may be helpful to you going forward.  

As for the possible causes of the discharge you mention, this could be a result of receipt of oral sex giving you non-gonococcal urethritis (NGU).  This can occur following oral sex if the bacteria normally present in the mouth are introduced into the urethra.  At this site they can cause inflammation which presents as a urethral discharge.  Most experts believe that if this is the case, while the problem is associated with sexual contact and while it is not a risk to sexual partners, it is typically treated (with azithromycin or doxycycline) as are partners.

A second possible cause of your discharge is related to your clean-out.  It is not uncommon for prostatic fluid to be expressed in the course of bowel movements as a result of increased abdominal pressure during the bowel movement.  This is not abnormal and is a possibility as well.  I do not know that the clean-out procedure per se is more likely to lead this than bowel movements under other circumstances.

I also want to point out that if your condom did not break wide open (something that I suspect you would remember, even with drinking), it did not break, When condoms fail there is no doubt and they do not "leak" just a little,

As for your specific questions:

1. does this sound like chlamydia?  the discharge is not yellow or green and I would like to think the pills would have eradicated it if it was.
The circumstances you describe are not particularly high risk for chlamydial infection and I agree, the azithromycin your doctor provided would have cured chlamydia if that were the culprit. I anticipate your chlamydial tests will be negative.

2.  if i took the pills on Monday, would symptoms persist on Friday?
No, not typically if this were an STD.

3. is white discharge more telling than clear as far as an STD is concerned?  
No, the appearance of discharge associated with STDs, as well as normal discharge can vary a great deal in appearance and amount.

4.  how much discharge is too much?
see above.

5. would increased need to defecate have anything to do with this -- ie more pressure?
Also answered above.  

Ihope my comments are helpful.  My guess that this is not a pathological discharge related to infection you acquired during the interaction you described above.  EWH
Thanks. Appreciate the timely response. A follow up:

Do symptoms of ngu typically hit at 5 days post exposure?  Is 2.5 days too soon to test with a urine sample? Is ngu harmful? I have abstained from contact this far?  Should I have reservations about unprotected sex with my partner?  Thanks.
Symptoms of NGU can appear  days after exposure.

No, a urine specimen at 2.5 days will be sufficient;

You are treated with azitheromycin.  I would not be worried at this time.  EWH
sorry, how many days after exposure was that? it's blank on my end.
My response was affirmative.  NGU symptoms can occur 5 days after an exposure.  EWH