STDs Community
antibiotics and testing

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

antibiotics and testing

On August 1st I received  unprotected oral sex from an Asian female in a massage parlor. She was about 45 years old. Since then I have not had any symptoms but my wife came down with a UTI (she gets them once every 2 years or so on average). She went to urgent care on her own and they gave her an antibiotic that did not help. 3 days later I drove her to the ER where she advised the staff she had a UTI. They took urine and blood and gave her 1g Rocephine intravenously. They advised her that the urine was not showing any signs of infection probably because the antibiotic was masking it.
I was nervous because even tho I was showing no symptoms I worried I caught an std and passed it to her. They sent her home with Cipro 500mg twice a day for 7 days. 5 pills in she started having an allergic reaction (rash under her arms and on her thighs). We called her primary doc and she prescribed Bactra twice a day for 7 days.
Things seem to be clearing up. She has been on the Bactra for 2 days now.

Three or four days before she went to the ER I was popping Cipro's 500mg twice a day just because we happen to have it and I was worried sick I had an STD. The day after the ER visit (3 weeks after oral) I went and got an STD test. It came back 3 days later all negative. The gonorrhea and Chlamydia were both urine tests.  

I still don't have any symptoms but all the internet reading ive been doing says no symptoms means nothing. You can still be infected.

So should I feel confident with the std test? Ive read that if you take antibiotics near the test in can give a false negative.

I probably wouldn't be so stressed if she didn't come down with that UTI...if even that's what it was. Ive read Rocephine will cure gonorrhea. if that's the case she's good on that right? What about the Chlamydia?

Also....how soon should I do a retest on myself? I don't want another potential masked test.

Hi self medicating is probably not a good idea. But you panicked over a low risk situation. Antibiotics do not mask the test. Either they cure the infection or not. And the gonorrhea test and chlamydia test were done 3 weeks post exposure. So you should be fine. Taka care!
Antibiotics don't even mask URINE tests? This wasn't a swab.
Also....can I assume that the 1g Rocephin my wife received at the hospital took care of any potential gonorrhea or Chlamydia she may have had?
The urine tests were: "This test was performed using the APTIMA COMBO2 Assay".
Copied and pasted right from the lab result.
Your test 3 weeks post exposure is more than enough. You should be fine