STDs Expert Forum
appearance of oral herpes

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

appearance of oral herpes

First off: as of last bloodtest I was negative for both HSV I and HSVII. I check this board regularly and know the doctor's opinion on bloodtests, I vs. II, and the like.

My question has to do with the appearance of oral herpes--since as of 3-4 months ago I was HSV1 negative, the question in particular has to do with the appearance of PRIMARY oral herpes infection. I know HSV I orally is not a big deal at all, but I would appreciate a fuller answer than "don't worry, the majority of the population has HSVI orally," and so on...I already know this ;)

So--starting 2 days ago,I noticed a slight irritation on my lip. This hasn't changed much in appearance during the following 2 days. 2 small bumps (about the size of a a computerized period . . ) on the red part of my lip. More specifically--about 4-5 millimeters from the edge of where the lip meets facial skin, and 4-5 millimeters from the corner of my mouth itself. It's pretty difficult if not impossible to notice these unless I push my lip out with my tongue to stretch the lip on the skin back--then they're easy to see. No real pain, maybe slight irritation when eating certain foods.

Now--does primary oral herpes usually occur on the line where the lip meets the skin, rather than on the "soft" part of the lip? (and is the location I am describing considered the "soft" part of the lip?) I am also a heavy smoker--could this be angular stomatitis (sp.?) If this goes away and then recurs in the same spot, are there other mouth/lip irritations that would do this in a similar manner besides HSV1? Should I stop worrying and just shut the hell up? ;).

I know this is trivial but a reasoned response would be much appreciated...happy holidays!
When primary oral herpes causes symptoms, generally there are multiple sores inside the mouth, not on the lips; plus sore throat.  The general rule is that initial oral herpes occurs inside the lips, recurrences on or outside the lips.  Given your blood test results, yes, you should stop worrying about herpes.

Merry Christmas---  HHH, MD
Forgot to mention: they are slightly raised, which is how I noticed them in the first place.
and appearance on inside of lips would stereotypically also be a cluster of blisters, etc., the same as "classic" outbreak appearance on outside of lips?

and would you generally feel rather sick during a primary infection?
See the Terms and Conditions of the Med Help forums.  The same person is not permitted to post a new thread more often than every 6 months.  Although I do not always enforce it if the question or issue is new, the one you started today is simply a repeat of the same kind of question you have asked twice before.  I deleted it.  The symptom you described does not sound like herpes.

HHH, MD