STDs Expert Forum
asymptomatic gonorrhea, chlamydia for more than 5 years

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Dear Doctors,

I've read a lot of conflicting information on the internet, and I'm unclear as to what to believe.

About five years ago, I had unprotected oral insertive.  The episode lasted no longer than 10 seconds.  I had no symptoms.

I'm now reading on the internet, from sources like the Mayo Clinic that gonorrhea and chlamydia can be asymptomatic in men for more than 5 years.  I've gotten worried, and visited my doctor, who agreed that gonorrhea and chlamydia could remain asymptomatic for that long.  He also stated that any STD one could receive via the vagina, one could receive via the mouth.  Thus, I was at risk, albeit minimal, of contracting chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, etc....

Thus, my questions are:

1) Can gonorrhea and chlamydia remain asymptomatic in men for more than 5 years?  Will these infections resolve on their own if not treated? Why are the answers on this question so varied?

2) Should I continue to worry that I contracted gonorrhea, chlamydia, etc?  

Thanks in advance for your answers.  I'm asking you because I trust your answers.
I can answer your question only from looking at the title you chose for it, without looking at anything else you have written.  Neither chlamydia nor gonorrhea have ever been known to persist for 5 years.

Now I have read the question.  Either the Mayo Clinic information is wrong or you misinterpreted what you read.  Chlamydia can be dismissed out of hand; it rarely if ever takes hold in the mouth or throat and therefore is rarely if ever transmitted by oral sex.  Gonorrhea can be so transmitted, but almost always causes obvious symptoms in men and, as already stated, definitely cannot persist more than a few months in men, let alone several years.

So the answer is no to both questions 1 and 2.

Both this question and your one a couple days ago indicate a very abnormal level of unlrealistic fear about STDs.  I believe you would benefit from professional counseling about it. I suggest it out of compassion, not criticism.

Please note that MedHelp permits a maximum of 2 questions every 6 months on each of the professionally moderated forums (see Terms and Conditions).  this has to be your last question on this forum before next December.

HHH, MD