STDs Expert Forum
bacterial stds

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

bacterial stds

Ok doc..here's the story

I had a one time brief act of fellatio performed on me by a woman who is not my long term girlfriend. No ejaculation.

Afterwards, I became freaked that I could have gotten chalamydia or gonorrhea. I went to a doc who did not test me, but did prescribe 2 grams of zithromax for both me and my long term GF. We both took the treatment (she did not know it was for STDs - that's another story). We waited the 7-10 days suggested before resuming sex.

After the zithromax, I have now had 2 swab tests that both came back negative for chlamydia and gonnorhea (Gonorrhea). The two tests were done more than a month apart, and in between the 2 tests, I was having unprotected sex with my long time GF. I would love to believe that we're both in the clear due to my 2 negative tests - but she has not been tested, nor can I tell her about this incident so she can be tested or my relationship will crumble. So my questions:

1. Is there any practical, logical, reasonable chance that the zithromax cured me, but not her...and that she could still be posive while I remain negative, even after our unprotected sex? (I worry that she could be positive, and transmit it back to me and it will go back and forth - am I being OCD?)

2. IS there any chance that both my tests could be negative and I could turn positive somewhere down the road barring another exposure?

3. She is going for a gynocological exam (routine) in about a month. Would a normal exam and a pap test pick up any of these STDs?

4. Based on my 2 neg. tests after the treatment that she and I both received....is it safe to assume we are both in the clear?

Thanks.
One time fellatio is extremely safe; it is very unlikely you were infected, and if you were the treatment would have cured it.  To your specific quesions:L

1) No, there is no chance of that.  And you're the one that raised the OCD question, not me--but it sounds possible.

2) No.

3) Specific tests for chlamydia or gonorrhea have to be ordered by the doc.  But every sexually active woman under age 25 should have those tests once a year anyway, and her provider is likely to do them, regardless of your supposed risks (which was a non-risk event).

4) Yes.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
I have been tested for std and every time my results come back as neg.  The one thing that I am concerned about is that I keep getting reacurring baterial infection which the doc says is called (bateriaiosis) on a regular basis.  I am in a monogomist relationshiop of 2 1/2 years and he goes and get checked any time I feel that there is a problem so we go together and nothing ever comes back for him doc says hes fine. And the doc states that it is not sexually transmitted and the antibiotics im tired of taking.  what should I do. Please help

pml
Do some research and reading about bacterial vaginosis.  Probably it usually is not sexually transmitted.  I will be happy to respond in more detail if you post your question in a new thread instead of jumping into this one.

HHH, MD
Thank you for your answers, doctor. One follow up...

when getting my last swab, the doctor (a new guy I had never seen before)said to me, "you know, even if this test is negative you could still have chlamydia". Did he say this just because no test is ever totally 100% accurate? Or was he trying to teach me a lesson or something? I was under the impression that if tests are negative (especially 2 tests) that I'm good. Can you comment on that?
BV is the most common cause of vaginitis - not yeast, as I would have thought. It can be really, really tough to get rid of; I know I had to go back three times before I finally got rid of it :-) Also, while it isn't technically a STD, there appears to be some link between sex and BV - although I gather it's rather vague. Even so, men usually aren't treated.
I'm not sure why your doctor would say that - either it's his standard CYA verbiage, or he's passed some sort of moral judgment on your situation. Either way, I wouldn't worry even a second about it. I'm sure you're fine, and so is your gf.
I agree with Monkeflower.

HHH, MD
Hello Doctor,

Whats the time best time to test for STDs after possible encounter. I heard all STDs has different Incubation period.

Could you give the right time to test for

Herpes
Molluscum Contagiosum
Hepatits A and B
Syphilis
Gonorrhea
Chlamydia

Thanks for a Board like this.
New question/topic.  Happy to respond in a new thread.

HHH, MD
A related discussion, is this an std was started.