STDs Expert Forum
bump on inner thigh, very concerned

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

bump on inner thigh, very concerned

I am very concerned about a bump i have in my groin/thigh region.  I noticed it a couple days ago and thought it was a ingrown hair, so I tried to tweeze it, obviously it bled from this and I havent helped the healing process much by continuing to tweezer it.  Today, i tried popping it and after poking a hole in it with the tweezer I was able to push out some yellowish puss, it wasnt like the puss came from the surface, it more seemed like it came from beneath the skin, but still no hair. I should mention I recently have been doing a lot of long range biking and was thinking this could have contributed to it somehow.  I am really concerened this could be herpes or something.  Is it common to see herpes as a single bump like this in the thigh region only as opposed to on the genitals along with the thigh? is herpes always a cluster or could this single bump be it? Also, i am unsure of weather or not a herpes blister would have yellow, pimple like puss from it, puss that wasnt visible above the surface.I know you cant diagnose over the comp. but please tell me what you can and what you think. thanks for the help, you site and your work is a g-d send.
The location is wrong for herpes, and herpes usually doesn't appear as a single bump.  Most likely just a pimple or folliculitis.  Whatever it started out to be, all that manipulation probably caused increased inflammation and infection.  That you couldn't find a (teeny) hair doesn't mean it wasn't there.  In any case, at this point I suggest doing nothing, including no more poking and prodding, until it heals.  If new lesions appear in the meantime, or if the same one seems to recur, see a health care provider.  But I doubt you have an STD of any kind.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
I also should mention, my last sexual encounter was a brief oral one, 6 weeks ago and to the best of my memory I dont recall any contact in the thigh region, does this matter?  Thank you again so much
That reduces the likelihood of an STD even further.

HHH, MD
thank doc, I appreciate it, just wanted to tell you I saw a dermatologist as I was real nervous, he told me I caused an infection prescribed me cephalexin and bactroban ointment. Are these prescriptions consistant to what you thought? Thanks again.
Those prescriptions suggest the dermatologist thought you had a garden-variety bacterial infection, not an STD.

Are you the same person with both usernames?

HHH, MD
A related discussion, sleepless was started.
A related discussion, STD panick was started.
Yes herpes can appear as one bump clusters of bumps or legions if u have any bumps or what have in thr genital region ots better to get a blood test the reason I am saying this is because I broke out went to the doctor she looked and said this does not look like herpes I told her to test my blood anyway and yes 7 days later I was diagnosed with genital herpes so doctors can't always go one visual diagnosis
i have lots of bumps in my inner thigh...and a few around the perineum. A few on the labia minorja. My inner thigh itches.i have bumps or sores in the anus that hurt when i touch it.i was just diagnosed with chlamydia.but im waiting on my blood test results. What could this be? Im scared n cant sleep because of it.could it be hiv or genital warts or herpes?