STDs Community
burning sensation in throat after oral sex

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

At the end of May, I had unprotected anonymous oral sex with a man.
About a week later, I got a burning sensation in my throat, feeling similar to acid reflux.  After a week of the sore throat, a slight earache accompanied it.  I have seen no sores anywhere around my lips or tongue.  Nothing on the roof or floor of my mouth.  It all is located only in the throat.  Then, it went away.

I had been gargling with salt water and peroxide daily, and used eardops once the earache started.

After the symptoms were gone for a week, the sore throat returned.

Any advice or possible diagnosis?  I posted under Herpes, cuz I wasn't sure where to put it.
it doesn't sound like herpes. You should follow up with your doctor to find out what is going on. This could be many things - including a sinus infection and/or allergies ( post nasal drip can cause a heck of a sore throat plus you had the ear ache going on too ).

grace
Avatar n tn
I have had similar symptoms - redness and burning of the throat, occasional earache, headaches, post nasal drip - since the end of December. I have often wondered if these symptoms could possibly be attributed to an oral infection from oral sex.

Question for you Grace - Would your garden variety throat culture detect an infection such as gonorrhea even if your doctor wasn't specifically looking for it? I had a throat culture done and my results came back negative. In the words of my doctor, "only normal flora of the mouth were detected."

To tribefan - I went to see an ENT specialist and she is currently treating me for a condition called LPR (laryngopharyngeal reflux). I don't have too much more information to share until I visit her again this coming week. I just thought it might be worth doing an internet search to see if any of your symptoms match.