STDs Community
can you get any stds from sharing a drink with someone?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

can you get any stds from sharing a drink with someone?

By accident, I took a sip out of this girls mcdonalds cup thinking it was mine. I know she is very promiscuous so I was wondering if you can get any stds from sharing a drink with someone? I already get cold sores but I was wondering what the likelihood of getting HSV 2 orally is? Or if you can contract any other stds this way?
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1549204_tn?1353365273
I had this happen to me by going to a club with a friend with cold sores on her lips. She took my glass of a mixed drink without asking me and I took a drink after her using the same cup. I've never had a cold sore after that experience.  You can catch the herpes virus from drinking after someone if there is a cold sore present on the person's lips at the time.  If that person didn't show an outbreak, you'll be fine. Just don't do it again!
Blank
Ok thank you, I already get cold sores. But I was mainly wondering if hsv-2 can be contracted this way and if it happens often? And also if any other stds can be contracted by sharing drinks?
Blank
1549204_tn?1353365273
Occasionally HSV-2  can cause sores in the mouth, and can be spread by secretions in saliva.  Anytime someone shares a drink will have the possibility of contacting an std if the person is showing a cold sore.  Other than that std, I don't believe anything else can be given by sharing drinks.
If that doesn't answer your question, wait for a volunteer cause I'm about to go to a class.  Good luck!
Blank
101028_tn?1348750963
as an adult, oral herpes is almost exclusively transmitted from romantic type kisses. the odds that you'd contract oral herpes from just sharing a drink are incredibly low and not worth worrying about. You are far more likely to contract the common cold from sharing a drink than herpes.

not many folks at all have hsv2 orally. those who do, the virus rarely sheds so the odds of getting hsv2 orally from another person who has it is incredibly low.

you also won't get any std from sharing a drink with someone!!!  we call them sexually transmitted infections for good reason - it takes a sexual contact to transmit them.

grace
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
STDs Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank