STDs Expert Forum
continued oral exposures, partial good news about unprotected vaginal

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

The unprotected oral and vaginal sex I had with my 27 yo massage "friend" three weeks ago turned up negative for gonorrhea and chlamydia, good news. I have had no symptoms to date. Should I test for HIV and Syphilis in another week or so, and If I don't what is the risk to my partner? I will probably follow up anyway due to the guilt and uncertainty, the full panel.

I also had unprotected oral sex with another masseuse tonight. Would you agree that I don't need testing again for THIS exposure? She says she herself tests frequently, is clean, and has had the HPV vaccine. I have no reason to doubt her.

Based on the above can I safely resume unprotected sex with my wife? It would seem so based on what I have read but...I am seeking the medical answers to these questions.

Finally, if someone does nothing but unprotected oral sex and protected vaginal, is that a fairly safe lifestyle? Just for the record, I have done exactly this for twenty years and have never acquired anything other than guilt and stress and lost wages. I know it time to stop, the heat in the kitchen is too much, the load too heavy. I am not proud of these choices. Planned Parenthood is tired of seeing me and you probably are too.

Thank you

worriedintucson

I'll address your question here but will not engage in prolonged follow-up.  We ask that clients post no more than 2 times in any sex month period and this is your 3rd time since September.  No further posts until March please.  Further, you seem to be trying to use our Forum to assuage your guilt from your repeated trips to the massage parlor.  I will provide a few comments and that will be it.

Condom protected sex is safe sex.  There is little risk for any STD from this practice.  

Among heterosexuals with your history, syphilis is quite unusual.  In the U.S. at the present time about 70% of syphilis occurs among men who have sex with other men and irrespective of sex preference. syphilis is a rare disease.  I would not worry about it unless you develop a lesion at a site of contact or an unexplained rash

Continued below EWH

As for receipt of oral sex, oral sex is an inefficient way to transmit STDs.  Of the bacterial STDs only gonorrhea and nongonococcal urethritis (NGU) are transmitted through oral sex; chlamydia is not and without an obvious sore or lesion on your partner’s mouth, the chances of syphilis and herpes is likewise tiny.   If you get gonorrhea or NGU you will most likely develop symptoms of urethritis (penile infection) such as burning on urination or penile discharge.  Even if your partner had an STD (any STD and it is likely she did not), most exposures do not lead to infection.  Your experience over the past 20 years serves to validate the low risk nature of oral sex.

I hope these comments are helpful.  This will take care of this thread.  EWH
Thank you for clarifying. I apologize and appreciate your response even as, while I understand the policy of only two questions in any six month period, you did say to post a new question again and I took that as my second. I stand corrected.

The work you do here has value beyond what you can possibly know looking at it from my side. You can be gratified that this forum educates and provides relief.

Perhaps another question in March but I hope not.

Be well.

worriedintucson