STDs Expert Forum
discharge continues 2 days after rocephin shot

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Doctor,

I had a discharge from my penis 2 days and received a shot of rocephin in the butt. I still have a discharge, though I think it may be a bit less. Should I be concerned that the drug didn't work? I wasn't sore after the shot so is it possible the needle didn't go deep enough?

Thanks for your help.
Welcome to the forum.

Your doctor or clinic obviously thought you had gonorrhea, the only STD routinely treated with a single shot of ceftriaxone (Rocephin).  If that diagnosis is correct, you will be cured; the drug is highly reliable and the depth of the shot will make no difference.  It takes a few days for the symptoms to clear, maybe a week before your discharge is gone entirely.  If it continues to improve over the next 2-3 days, don't worry about it; but if it stops improving or gets worse again, or if you still have any discharge after a week, return to the clinic to be re-checked.

The other possibility is that the diagnosis was wrong, i.e. you have nongonococcal urethritis (NGU) and not gonorrhea.  NGU won't respond to ceftriaxone, but requires treatment with azithromycin (single dose) or doxycycline for 7 days.  However, usually one of these treatments is given along with cefttiaxone for gonorrhea, which is the standard management of gonorrhea recommended by CDC and all other public health agencies in the US and other industrialized countries.  Was the shot your only treatment? If so, you might call and ask why you weren't also given azithro or doxy.

Finally, I trust you are taking steps to make sure your sex partner(s) are being treated as well.

I hope this helps.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD
yes I also received azithromycin. I am very relieved by your answer. Thanks. This is a great service.
Glad to have helped, and to hear you received azithromycin as well.  Take care.