STDs Expert Forum
does any STD cause sore throat for a very long time?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

5 months ago I had 2 protected vaginal sex and oral sex with an escort girl. the only incident worth remembering is the fact that my condom stayed inside when I pulled back . the next morning the tip of penis was itching, and after two days I had a terrible  pain in my stomach and felt very tired. everything recovered quickly but itching stayed there for two months despite two different antibiotics but disappeared finally. my doctor said that it might be something viral.
I can't remember exactly when, but after some time I started to have a sore throat which then worsened ( 2 months after intercourse). It got much better but I still feel something there. nowadays I also feel quite tired. my ETL doctor conducted all the tests (including mono)  but couldn't find any specific reason.
I also had HIV 1&2 tests after 38 days and were negative. I had MRI which only revealed two swollen lymp nodes in my my neck but my doctor told me that they are not important.
1)-does any STD cause sore throat for that long? 2)-web sites say that HIV or chronic fatigue syndrome may cause sore throat for long time. is it true? 3)did you have any patients like this before? what was the cause?    thank you
Sore throat is a rare consequence of STD.  Gonorrhea sometimes does it, but over 90% of cases are asymptomatic; and anyway, gonorrhea of the throat clears up on its own within 3 months. The first episode of oral herpes can cause severe sore throat for up to 3 weeks, no longer.  Sore throat is common in primary HIV infection, but sore throat alone is never due to HIV.  That's pretty much it for STDs and sore throat.

So the direct answers to your questions are:  1) No.  2) HIV causes sore throat for a few weeks at most; chronic sore throat isn't evidence of HIV.  I don't know anything about chronic fatigue syndrome and sore throat.  3) I don't recall the last patient I might have had with this sort of complaint.  Even if I remembered, I wouldn't say the cause here:  whatever any particular patient had in the past is irrelevant to possible explanations in your case.

Bottom line:  Clearly this isn't related in any way to STD or your escort exposure, unless due to anxiety over that event.  Your personal provider is the best source for continued evaluation if your symptoms continue.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
1 Comment
A related discussion, Prolonged sore throat was started.