STDs Expert Forum
drs. are even confused with my tests results

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

it all started when i had a sore in the vaginal area it looked like a canker sore that you would get in your mouth lasted for a little over a month. i have a 7 different blood test done over the last 6 years.

1st test (labcorp)
hsv 1&2 igg abs routine
hsv 1/2 igg 1.5 h
hsv 1/2 igg interp positive a
hsv 2 igg type spec. neg.

2nd test (labcorp)
hsv 2 igg spec. 1.5h
hsv igm 1&2  <0.91

3rd test (mayo Clinic) is this a herpeselect)
hsv type 1 igg pos.
hsv type 2 igg pos.
hsv igm neg.

4th test  (labcorp)
hsv 1&2 igg 1.1h
hsv 1 igg spec. <0.91
hsv 2 igg spec. <0.91

5th test (labcorp)
hsv 1&2 igg 1.3h
hsv1 igg spec. <0.91
hsv 2 igg spec. <0.91

6th test (labcorp)
hsv 1&2 pcr neg

7th test(lab corp)
hsv 1 neg <0.91
hsv 2 neg <0.91
does this mean that i have herpes?  also had western blot done results are hsv1 pos. and hsv 2 neg. is this accurate?
There is nothing at all in your lab tests to suggest you have HSV-2, the most common cause of genital herpes.  In fact, the only thing to suggest that you do have herpes is the University of Washington western blot assay which is the "gold standard" for blood test diagnosis of herpes.  If their result suggests you  have HSV-1, you almost certainly do.  Over 60% of American adults have HSV-1, most of whom have oro-labial infection (i.e. cold sores or oral infections) which were acquired during childhood.  Of those with HSV-1, about 90% do not know it.  

Commenting on the results you do report, please be aware that test ratios (like the ones you report as "hsv1&2 igg) are of little help with negative tests because when you take the ratio of two negative tests, the ratio itself is irrelevant.  The test itself has to be positive for the ratio to have meaning.  In addition, I note that on one occasion you had a hsv 2 igg spec. report of "1.5h".  this result is in the range where over 80% of results are false positive.

Taking all of your results, I am confident that you do not have HSV-2, the most common cause of genital herpes.  You apparently do have HSV-1 which could be a cold sore but could also be in the genital location.  If it is in the genital location, it is not of great concern either as genital HSV-1 typically has few recurrences and is unlikely to be passed to sex partners.  

I urge you not to worry.  Many question answers and much information about herpes can be obtained by accessing excellent informational web sites such as the one run by the American Social Health Association (disclosure, Dr. Handsfield and I are both on the Board of Directors of ASHA).  

hope this helps.  EWH
so is it possible to never get hsv-1 through oral contact and catch it in the genital area through oral sex?
Your question is hard to follow.  If the question is, if a person does not have HSV-1 can they get genital herpes due to HSV-1 through oral sex?, the answer is yes, this can happen.  EWH
hopefully this makes more sense is it possible that i may have never gotten oral herpes  type 1 from kissing and ended up with it through oral sex later on?
There is just no way of knowing where your HSV-1 infection is.  It could be on your mouth, it could be on your genitals.    The sore that you saw six years ago may or may not have been herpes.  Please take a look at the web site I suggested.  EWH
sorry last question is it considered normal that all except one other hsv-1 test were neg. and then all sudden it is pos. with western blot. and i can definitely consider the the hsv-2 to be accurate with the western blot?
Normal?? hard to say.  As I said before, your results indicaate theat you have HSV-1 (somewhere) but that you do not have HSV-2.  EWH
is it possible that i may be 1 of the 2% that never test pos. for hsv-2?
Are yuo trying to ahve herpes?  Seriously, my advice is to beliee the test results.  You are far mor elikely to be like the vast majority of the population than the 2% of the 20% of persons with HSV-2 how have normal tests.  EWH
sorry that spot that i had really scared me just want to make sure that iam 100% neg. for hsv2.