STDs Expert Forum
effectiveness of meds

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

effectiveness of meds

Thank you so much for this service.  

Here is my question:  I am a man and ten days ago (a Monday) I had sex with a pro (female); the condom broke and there was about 20 or 30 seconds of contact before I ejaculated and withdrew (and commenced freaking out).  Paranoia set in and I was sure I was feeling discomfort in my penis, so 3 days later (thursday) I went to a STD clinic for preventive measures.  I was given a swab test which came back positive for NGU (test results for gon/clam/syph are due back this afternoon).  The nurse/doc gave me 2 packets of azithromycin (taken simultaneously) to get both clam and gon, and meds for tric just in case, and told me to wait 7 days before sex with my partner.  THe discomfort I thought I was feeling in my penis went away w/in 24 hours.  I had unprotected sex with my partner 6 days (tuesday) after taking the azithromycin.  The very next day - day seven after taking the meds (yesterday) - I started feeling discomfort again and the paranoia is again fresh in my mind.  

What are the odds that 2 simultaneous doses of azithromycin and a dose of tric meds would not be effective against NGU/gon/clam/syph?  Was waiting only 6 days instead of 7 a big deal?  Should I go back and be tested again?

Thanks.
NGU rarely starts within 3 days; it generally takes at least a week.  If the condom had spermicide or if the sex worker had used spermicidal cream (which many sex workers do, without necessarily telling their customers), you might have just had chemical irritation, which could show up on the swab test.  This seems a better bet than NGU; if you really had an infection, you likely acquired it before the exposure you describe.

But the STD clinic was right to treat you; better safe than sorry.  Those drugs highly reliable against chlamydia, nonchlamydial NGU, gonorrhea, trichomonas, and incubating syphilis.  (Not ideal for gonorrhea and not routinely recommended, but usually effective.)  Since you probably didn't have any infection and were already on treatment, your partner undoubtedly is safe; 6 days is fine.

I suggest you wait a few days and see what happens with your symptoms.  Most likely it's just anxiety magnifying normal sensations.  You don't need retesting.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Thanks for the reassurance.  I forgot to mention that in my zeal to avoid infection I put rubbing alcohol on my penis and some entered my urethra (Not smart, but I was panicking).  Based on your post, this is probably the source of my discomfort.  Thanks again.
I've done the same thing with the rubbing alcohol...  It does sting but I doubt it helps any...