STDs Expert Forum
first symptoms

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

first symptoms

I had unprotected intercourse with a friend, within 8 hours I started having erritations towards the end of my penis in the urethra.  No pain, no discharge, she had no symptoms.  She was tested and everything was fine, clean as can be.  I was tested, was placed on Azithromycin while we waited for results, Results neg.  Then Doxycycline for a week, still have erritation.  Are there stds that present symptoms in less than 8 hours, and wouldnt the meds Ive take clear just anything up?  Thanks for your tme
Whatever is going on isn't an STD.  No infection can cause symptoms that start only 8 hours after exposure.  (Of course, if you caught urethritis before that exposure--say if you had another sexual exposure several days earlier--you could have an STD, just not acquired when you thought.)  Had you been my patient, I would not have treated you without testing.  But the fact that your symptoms didn't get better on doxy or azithromycin is further evidence they aren't due to any infection.

Follow up with your provider if the symptom persists.  But don't worry about STD as the cause.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Greetings,
I completely understand your concerns and I hope I can offer some insight while you wait for the doctor's response. I have had similar symptoms to what you describe and have read in this forum, and/or been told ( see " Am I spinning my wheels" post on 8/16) that there is NOT an STD that presents itself within 8 hours.
Without talking for the physician, It may be some sort of irritant, spermacide,..etc, that is causing your symptoms.
Be well
OverA
there was litlte no chance of exposure prior to the sysmptoms first starting, It had been several weeks, at least 8, since my last sexual experience.   With this situation, we had sex in the early afternoon, and by 8 that night I started noticing the erritation.
Therefore, your symptoms cannot be due to an STD.

HHH, MD
Thank you for the assistance