STDs Community
fish smell

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

fish smell

today i was with my gf we had sex with a condom however when i took it out it smelt of fish for the first time, she had resently done her smear test and said the woman used alot of vacaline. is it safe to have unprotected sex
They don't use vasiline in pap smears.  They use a lubricating gel, but it is not vasiline.  Fishy smell is usually indicative of bacterial vaginosis.  This is not an std.  It is an overgrowth of bacteria in her vagina.  She is most likely to get it if you had anal sex and vaginal sex at the same time.  Or if she wipes from back to front when she uses the bathroom, things like that.  This is not something you need to worry about.  That is if that is what she has.  She needs to call her gyno and tell them what happened and see what they say.
well i people say if there is a fish smell it is std what you think?
No I don't believe that. STD's do not have smells with them.
I can tell you from experiencing BV 4 times in my life.  It is the cause of fishy smell.  And it is NOT an std.  It is something that happens to women similar to yeast infection.  There is a balance of yeast and bacteria in the vagina.  When one overgrows, you have an infection of that variety.  This is a common and very easily treated female ailment.
to further clarify, virgins get BV quite often.  It is from improper vaginal hygiene.
Actually virgins rarely get bv. Even though it's not classified as a std, it's rarely seen in folks who  aren't sexually active. It also doesn't have a lot to do with how you wipe when using the toilet either.  It has more to do with the ph of the vagina and a lack of certain protective vaginal bacteria being present more than anything.

Your gf might just have a little different odor or she could really have an infection going on. Absolutely no reason to suspect a std because of it. If she has discharge or itching, she should see her provider to get tested for yeast and bacterial vaginal infections.    

grace
Sorry.  That's what I was told by my doctor when I first contracted it.