STDs Expert Forum
flaking dry skin on penis--hsv? anything else?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

I've developed a path of dry flaky skin on the head of my penis and right beneath the rim of the head...The skin looks somewhat scaley, I suppose, and looks to be peeling. When I put water on the area the dry skin washes right off and disappears, though it returns in a few hours in the same place (similiar, I suppose, to what happens when you have dry skin on the face). THere is no pain and when the dry skin washes off i don't seem to notice anything beneath it--no ulcers, blisters, &c. The flaky skin itself is white in color and comes off pretty easily with the water.

This is stupid, but is there any chance in hell there is an HSV concern here? i know HSV can present nontraditionally, but...if not, is there anything else it might be of concern? Or does it sound like simple dry skin irritation (though i've never had that before in this area..?) If it sounds like dry skin, is there something in particular that might help in such a sensitive area?
Many things can cause such symptoms, but not herpes.  I don't have any opinion about other causes; there are too many possibilities.  See a health care provider if the symptoms persist.

HHH, MD
"many things" as in STDs, or do you mean a wider range of irritation/dermatological issues?
Wild guess: Is it eczema from using too much soap? That happened to me once, esp. after I was feeling extremely guilty about some blowjobs that I wished I hadn't gotten. I was scrubbing too hard and using harsh soap that caused a skin irritation, dryness, and flakes that came off.
No, not too much soap--but in washing off the area with water i am probably making it drier, which is probably the cause...
thanks for the suggestion though,
Well my ex boyfiend had the same thing wrong with him. I am the only one he has slept with but he isnt the only one I have been with. Neither of us have had STD testing. I have had unprotected sex with about 5 people. I dont have any signs of having anything. He however has red patches that seem to be spreading over the head of penis. Its not extreme.. just in like 2 spots. Its always red, no other color. Sometimes it has like hard dry skin on it but it doesnt bleed, no pus, no nothing. He says it doesnt hurt, doesnt burn, sting,etc. When he takes a shower is when I notice the hard dry skin over it. When it doesnt have the hard skin over it, it appears to be nice silky, shinny red area.(He lives in country and has to use really harsh well-water...I think it has something to do with that...I dont know though). He is really freaked out and is blaming me for giving him an STD! If anyone has the same problem please let me know what u are doing(or did) to help it out! Is it an STD or are we freaked out over nothing. Thanks
A related discussion, dry flaky skin on the shaft of my penis was started.
A related discussion, dry flaking skin on the shaft of my penis was started.
A related discussion, dry skin on penis was started.
A related discussion, hopeless case seeks attention was started.
When I masturbate, my skin become dry, but when I apply water on my penis, it goes away like was never there. If I use a lubricant while masturbating their is no dry skin or anything. If anyone has had run into this problem please give me some info to stop this from happening
either its an allergic reaction 2 da soap he usin or  It may b scabbies
i have the same problem as you, its pretty much all over my penis and im 13 and havent had sex so it couldnt be std
I am a 29 year old HIV positive male,I drink alcohol,my CD4 count is 385,I am getting white spots on my neck and my penis,please advice on what to do
,Regards
,Regards