STDs Expert Forum
french kissing

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

french kissing

i been french kissing a girl that as hiv. i notice couple weeks ago that i have a white spot on the bottom inside the lip it white and little raised and doesnt hurt. i ahve a little sore throat but not bad. could this be a std like syphilis or something else?  have mixed reviews that cant get std through french kissing and some site you can.i posted on your hiv site couple weeks ago about french kissing a hiv person. kissing is all we done. should i be worry about std?
THANKS
From your recent discussion with Dr. Hook on the HIV forum, you know that kissing carries little or no risk for HIV transmission.  While nobody can say the risk is truly zero, there are no known cases of such transmission.

The risk of other STDs is almost as low.  Syphilis is possible but rare.  Oral herpes of course is usually transmitted by kissing, but that's not considreed an STD.

A "white spot on the bottom inside the lip it white and little raised and doesnt hurt" is not typical for any STD, and neither is sore throat.  If these symptoms persist, see a health care provider.  But almost certainly no STD is the problem.

Regards--  HHH, MD
im little confused the other doctor   said its still safe to kiss the girl.i thoght you cannot get the hiv infection from kissing. i have kissed her a few more times. the sore just busted and its a little sore so should i get tested for any std or just let it go?

THANKS FOR HELPING
he does have hiv
There is no cause for confusion.  Dr. Hook and I don't disagree.  Sometimes we're just more careful to say things like "no KNOWN risk" or "no risk for practical purpose"; other times we just say no risk.  It is impossible to prove that HIV can never be transmitted by kissing.  But with no known cases, you can safely assume the risk is zero for practical purposes.  Still, if you want 100% guaranteed safety against HIV, you'll have to stop kissing your partner.

It sounds like you had a mucocele, i.e. a bit of mucus trapped in a blocked mucus gland.  It's nothing abnormal.  But as I said, get it checked out if the problem continues.
im talking about other stds except hiv. what is the chance of the other std from french kissing?that is all we have done.i have some answer on the forum say they you cant just making sure

THANKS
See paragraph 2 of my original reply.  I haven't changed my mind!