STDs Expert Forum
frequent urination and fever, do i have STD's?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hello Doc,

10 days back I had protected oral and vaginal sex with a SW in Prague and now I am worried if I have contracted any STD?  Just yesterday I came under the weather with mild fever and body aches and I've also been frequently urinating (6 times a day even though I am not drinking that much water).  

I have no other symptoms in the penis area - no rashes and no discharge.  I also do not have a burning sensation in my penis despite the fact that I am peeing a lot.  
Is this a sign of any STD or do I have UTI?
Do I need to get tested for STD's even though its been 10 days?

Also, what are the chances of contracting any STD if you've had protected oral and vaginal sex? From what I've researched on the internet is that people still contract HPV or gential (genital) warts even if you've worn a condom?

Please advise.
A properly used condom is highly protective against STDs. When you consider the protection offered by a condom plus the fact that it is unlikely that your partner had an STD, it becomes very unlikely that your symptoms are due to an STD.  The symptoms you describe could be due to a community acquired non-STD virus acquired in your travels, anxiety or one of many other things.  My advice would be to go see a health care professional and get checked, both for STDs to provide you with peace of mind and anything else the doctor thinks is appropriate after he/she has had a chance to examine you and discuss your symptoms more completely.  

While there is no medical reason for you to e tested for STD, it sounds as though you might benefit from the peace of mind a negative test would provide. I hope this helps.  EWH
Hello Dr. Hook,

Thanks for your response. Just one quick follow up question.  I went to the local PCP yesterday and took a urine test.  The results indicated high WBC count and a cloudy.  The PCP has sent the urine for further testing of gonn. and chlam.   I am getting really nervous now.  Should I be concerned about other STD's?

Thanks.
Increased WBCs in the urine may be an inidicator of NGU or gonorrhea and chlamydia.  there is a chance this could be due to a urinary tract infection or prostate infection as well.  If the doctor was aware of the abnormality and concerned, I would have though he would have treated you.  You should ask him for his thoughts.  EWH
My urine tests came back negative for both chlamydia and gonnorrhea so my PCP thinks its UTI.  He's prescribed some antibiotics to take for 7 days.

I am happy I didn't test positive but I am surprised that my symptoms - frequent/burning urination and high wbc count - are so similar to chlamydia and yet the results came back negative.  

My last question  and I won't bug you anymore - you mentioned that my condition could be NGU above, how is NGU different from Chlamydia and is the test for NGU any different from the urine test that I just took?

Thanks.
the test for NGU is to detect increased white blood cells in an intial urine specimen or a swab specimen from the urethra.  The white blood cells in your urine could have been NGU rather than a UTI but, given your history of protected sex,it is unlikely this is NGU.  either way, your antibiotics should clear things up  EWH